Spaghetti Squash with Ground Turkey
Image credit: Shutterstock
- 1 medium sized spaghetti squash, halved
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp butter or coconut oil
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Optional: 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Optional: top with fresh parsley
- Optional: ½ cup veggie or chicken stock if needed for sauce
- For Roasted Veggies: (veggies of your choice or use the following)
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 Japanese eggplant, diced
- Vegetarians/Vegans: eliminate turkey and add roasted vegetables to sauce (see roast vegetable section below)
- For the Spaghetti Squash:
a. Preheat oven to 350.
b. Cut spaghetti squash in 1/2 and scoop out the seeds.
c. Top with a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
d. Lay squash face down on a rimmed baking pan/tray.
e. Cook for 45 minutes or until soft.
f. When finished baking, take a fork and scrape squash out (should look like strings of spaghetti).
- For the Turkey Marinara:
a. Melt butter/coconut oil in a large pan (with a lid) on low heat.
b. Add onion and garlic and cook on low heat until softened (about 3-5 minutes).
c. Add turkey and cook on low heat until browned.
d. Once turkey is browned, add diced tomatoes, paprika, garlic powder and onion powder and let simmer for about 20-25 minutes.
e. When marinara is ready, pour over spaghetti squash, top with freshly chopped parsley and enjoy!
- Roasted Vegetable Marinara:
b. Slice bell peppers, onion and eggplant and put into a large mixing bowl (option to use veggies of your choice).
c. Coat with a generous amount of olive oil.
d. Lay out on a baking sheet (option to use aluminum foil) Sprinkle veggies with salt and pepper.
e. Bake on 350 for about 35-40 minutes or until desired consistency.
f. While vegetables and squash are baking, add onion and garlic into a saucepan with butter or coconut oil on low heat, cook until softened. Add can of diced tomato and paprika, garlic powder and onion powder. Let simmer for about 10 minutes. Add roasted vegetables and mix all together.