Haven’t Tried Kale Yet? Here’s Why You Should
By Ricky Elmer
Kale reigns as king over all the super healthy greens as it is one of the most nutritious and healthiest choices of food known to man.
I will be honest with you, I do not care for the taste of kale (I’m sure that I am not the only one…), but the beneficial compounds that are hidden away in its green flesh are not to be missed.
Not even spinach can compare to the nutrients provided in kale. Maybe Popeye would have grown some biceps along with those forearms if he had chosen the latter. But cartoons aside, kale has proven to be one of the healthiest choices of food on the planet.
I wonder if you can cultivate kale on Mars? You know, like Matt Damon did with potatoes, but with kale instead. That would make its health benefits literally ‘out-of-this-world!’ I made myself laugh.
The benefits that kale can bestow upon you are those that are worthy of mention, as it can be beneficial with maintaining healthy hair, skin and strong bones, along with aiding your digestion and lowering your risk of heart disease.
Here are 10 health benefits of kale:
1. It is one of the most nutrient dense foods – Due to its amazingly low calorie content, kale is known as one of the most nutrient dense foods in existence. If you need to increase your nutrient content in your diet, kale is a great option.
2. Can lower cholesterol – This plant contains substances that are able to lower your cholesterol levels and bind the bile acids in your body. They are most effective when the kale is steamed.
3. Powerful anti-inflammatory properties – Did you know that just 1 cup of kale contains 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids? This can help with asthma, autoimmune disorders and arthritis. If you don’t like fish, just remember there’s kale!
4. Great source of vitamin K – Vitamin K can aid in protecting you against various cancers. It has also been proven – in increased levels – to help those affected by Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Cancer fighting properties – Though no human tests have been done as of yet, kale contains substances proven to fight cancer in test tubes and animal studies.
6. Contains nutrients to protect your eyes – Lutein and zeaxanthin are both nutrients that have proven to drastically reduce the risk of macular degeneration and cataracts – and both are found in kale.
7. Great source of vitamin C – High in vitamin C, kale holds great antioxidant properties. Just 1 cup of raw kale holds more vitamin C content than an orange.
8. Holds powerful antioxidants – As mentioned before, kale has powerful antioxidant properties. Along with vitamin C, kale holds quercetin and kaempferol, both of which have a variety of beneficial effects on your health.
9. High in beta-carotene – Another strong antioxidant, beta carotene is able to be turned into vitamin A in your body.
10. Has a high iron content – Kale holds more iron per calorie than beef. The transportation of oxygen in the body, formation of enzymes and hemoglobin, proper liver function and cell growth all depend on a healthy iron intake.
Not sure how to incorporate this superfood? Here are some ideas to get you started!
Blueberry Kale Smoothie
How To Make Kale Taste Absolutely Amazing
Considering the health benefits of kale, it should be a staple in anyone’s diet. If you haven’t tried it yet, now is the time.
Rick Elmer is a freelance writer from Texas who enjoys learning about health and nutrition while striving to make the world a better place. He is passionate about music, meditation, art, traveling the world and helping those around him.
Latest posts by Rick Elmer (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS