Beauty Spa Day: Turmeric Avocado Face Mask
Written by: Steve Fillmore
When you hear about turmeric and avocados, you may think of indian spiced foods and good ‘ol guacamole. But did you know that these two superfoods can also be great for creating beautiful radiant skin?
Turmeric is an all-natural skincare ingredient that can be applied topically for healthy glowing vibrant skin! And along with the beneficial fats and natural fatty acids from avocados, the two ingredients combined make for a great beauty facial mask.
Topical Benefits Of These Superfoods
Turmeric is highly anti inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial. This golden spice can be greatly effective against acne, also capable of reducing acne scars. The beneficial nutrients in turmeric that benefit the skin in include calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium. All these ingredients help to beautify the skin naturally.
Avocados are the other powerhouse superfoods that can help tighten pores and hydrate dry skin cells. They nourish the skin with nutrients such as vitamin E, natural fatty acids and oils. They can also fight off free radicals that damage skin and cause premature aging.
In the recipe below, you will also be able to reap benefits from all-natural yogurt. Yogurt helps to fortify the skin with B vitamins, zinc and calcium. Just like how yogurt benefits your natural gut biome, it also helps to benefit the skin. The live cultures and anti-bacterial properties help to destroy acne-causing bacteria while the yogurt nourishes and hydrates the skin, keeping it soft , smooth and supple.
Be sure to use an unsweetened pure organic yogurt. Greek yogurt is usually the best.
What if the turmeric stains my skin and fingernails?
Turmeric Avocado Face Mask
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon avocado
- 1 teaspoon yogurt
- Mash the avocado with a fork until smooth. Use the leftovers to eat, which can help the skin by working from the inside-out. You can also slather it all over those rough hands and feet before a bath for extra smooth skin.
- Combine avocado, turmeric powder and yogurt in bowl until all ingredients are combined.
- Add 1 drop of essential oils if so desired.
- Smear the mask on face in gentle circular upward motions. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water and apply moisturizer of choice.
- Enjoy healthy refreshed skin!
- Only a small amount of turmeric is used, so very little to no staining should occur. But if you happen to get your skin stained from the turmeric, simply take a little bit of sugar and use it as a sugar scrub to take the stain off your skin. The stain should come off right away. This will leave you with beautiful exfoliated skin as a bonus!
- It is much more likely to get stains on your fingernails. To remove fingernail turmeric stains, simply take a nail brush and brush your nails with lemon juice. Within about two minutes the turmeric stains should all but disappear. You can also use disposable rubber gloves to apply the facial mask.
Have any leftover?
- The extra face mask can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week. After one week the mixture may turn sour or rancid.
The next time you are having Indian food and some guacamole, be sure to save some turmeric and avocado and have a little spa beauty day for yourself! You deserve it, friend!
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS