By Lindsay Christianson
You know you’re a health junkie when your catchphrase becomes “have you tried coconut oil for that?’” It really is a miracle ingredient.
Besides its inherent nutrition though, it is also ridiculously multipurposeful. It contains 3 important substances – Lauric Acid, Capric Acid and Caprylic Acid, which have natural antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties, making coconut oil an easy go-to for a crazy number of purposes.
In fact, I have replaced many of my over-the-counter standbys with coconut oil as I have moved my family into a more natural state of living.
Here are some favorite ways to use coconut oil:
1. Eye makeup remover – Apply with a cotton pad to gently wipe away eye makeup.
2. Anti-aging skin moisturizer – Coconut oil naturally rebalances the oils in your skin, making it less oily. It also prevents breakouts and moisturizes like a champ!
3. Body/hand scrub – Mix 50/50 with sugar and add some essential oils (optional) for a deliciously moisturizing, exfoliating scrub (it works amazingly well in those winter months when your hands and legs are extra dry!).
4. Facial scrub – Mix coconut oil with baking soda (2:1 ratio) for an amazing moisturizing cream. Apply with small circular motions and rinse off with warm water.
5. Natural deodorant – Recipe: 2 tbsp baking soda, 2 tbsp arrowroot powder; combine and add coconut oil until it forms a paste. Add a few drops of essential oils if you wish to make it smell yummy!
6. Diaper cream (safe for cloth diapers, too!) – It moisturizes as well as helps heal any damaged skin, fighting bacteria and yeast (diaper rash) before it begins.
7. Allergy relief – Rub coconut oil inside your nostrils to help alleviate allergy symptoms.
8. Mouth wash – Replaces your mouthwash with oil pulling. Not only does it not sting like mouthwash, but it is excellent at killing off the bacteria in your mouth that causes bad breath (and helps prevent cavities, too).
Directions for oil pulling: Put one tablespoon of coconut oil into your mouth and let melt. Swish it around and between your teeth, holding it in your mouth for 10-20 minutes (I like to do it while I take my shower). Spit it out into a lined garbage can. Rinse out your mouth with warm water and brush as usual.
9. Relieve itching – Help soothe the itch of poison ivy, chicken pox or bug bites.
10. Antiseptic cream – It forms a thin antibacterial layer over wounds, preventing bacteria from causing infections. It also speeds up healing time, thus minimizing scarring by increasing cellular turnover.
11. Soothe a sore throat and speed recovery from flu and colds – Add a Tablespoon of coconut oil into your favorite warm tea to soothe your sore throat and boost your immune system to kick those bugs outta there.
Have you tried coconut oil for any of these purposes? Or have you come up with other creative uses for this miracle substance? Comment below and share with me!
I started with Fitlife back in 2011-2012…I wrote into Fitlife asking for an extreme amount of help. I was 300 pounds, with high cholesterol, and Drew helped me transform my life. I lost over 130 pounds and I no longer have high cholesterol. Not only did I lose weight, so did my husband, who lost over 70 pounds!-Jaclyn, Martinsburg NE