Why You Should Swap Coffee For Yerba Mate
Written by: Kat Gal
The strength of black coffee + the health benefits of tea + the joyful bliss of chocolate = Yerba Mate!
If you want energy AND nutrition to get you going in the morning, you need Yerba Mate in your life too.
Why You Should Swap Coffee For Yerba Mate
What Is Yerba Mate?
The most commonly used stimulants in the world are coffee, tea, cacao, guarana, kola nut and yerba mate. Out of all 6, yerba mate is the most balanced. It brings you both energy and nutrition without negative side-effects.
Yerba mate comes from the leaves of holy trees in South American rainforests and is known for its natural medicinal properties. It is naturally caffeinated, highly nourishing, delicious and can be enjoyed in a variety of ways.
Benefits Of Yerba Mate
How To Drink Yerba Mate
Prepare Yerba Mate The Traditional Way
- Fill up your gourd two-thirds of the way with loose-leaf Yerba Mate.
- Cover it and shake it well to get the polvo (powder) out.
- Make sure the powder is on the bottom of the mouth of the gourd, leaving space at the top.
- Pour some cold water over the leaves to protect them.
- Insert the bombilla over the leaves.
- Pour in hot water (80 – 100 F)
- Drink until slurping noises appear then refill and pass it to your friends or drink another cup.
Make Yerba Mate With A French Press
- Add 3 tbsp of Yerba Mate to your French press.
- Add cold water to cover the leaves.
- Pour in hot water (80-100 F)
- Let is sit for 2-3 minutes then press down the plunger.
- Pour it into cups. Share it with friends and family. Enjoy.
Make Yerba Mate Using Tea Bags Or Mesh Balls
- Add a spoonful of loose-leaf Yerba Mate into your disposable tea bags or stainless steel mesh ball tea infuser. Close as well.
- Add the tea bag or infuser into a mug.
- Add a bit of cold water at first.
- Add hot water (80 – 100 F).
- Steep it for 3 – 5 minutes or longer if you wish.
Bonus ways: you can also make Yerba Mate in a coffee maker or espresso maker following the same steps as you would with coffee. Remember to clean your coffee maker well so flavors don’t mix!
Ways To Drink And Flavor Your Yerba Mate
Just like with coffee, tea and cacao, your options are endless.
- You can enjoy it hot. Add some ginger, mint or turmeric to soak in the hot mix for a bit for extra flavor.
- You can enjoy it cold. Refrigerate it for 2-4 hours then add some ice cubes, lemon and mint.
- Add some milk and enjoy it for high tea.
- Squeeze in some lemon, lime or orange for some flavor.
- Add some honey or maple syrup for sweetness.
- Use Yerba Mate as your liquid for your summer smoothies.
Frequently Asked Questions About Yerba Mate
Q. Which yerba mate is best?
A. There are many brands of Yerba Mate on the market. Cruz de Malta Yerba Mate, Taragui Yerba Mate, Guayaki Traditional Organic Mate Tea, Yerba Mate Rosamonte and Leao Meta are some of the best and most popular kinds. Make sure to choose an organic brand, fair-trade if you can.
Q. Why yerba mate is better than coffee?
A. Coffee and yerba mate both contain antioxidants and have other benefits. While coffee is an excellent stimulant, yerba mate has incredible restorative functions that coffee can’t match. Yerba mate doesn’t bring jitterz. While coffee is clearly acidic, yerba mate is more neutral. They also taste different, so if you are not a coffee-lover, yerba mate may be your jam.
Q. Is yerba mate alkaline?
A. Yerba mate is neither truly alkaline or acidic. Its pH levels range from 6 to 7 depending on the manufacturing process.
Q. Is yerba mate safe?
A. Yes, generally speaking, Yerba Mate is safe and is unlikely to cause health risks. However, when drunk in large quantities for a prolonged period of time it can increase your risk of cancer. Moderation is the key. Up to 3 cups a day seems harmless and a cup a day or a few cups a week can bring you great benefits.
Yerba mate brings the benefits of coffee, tea and cacao combined. It is delicious and is an excellent alternative to all three drinks. Whether you want to quit coffee or simply mix up your morning routine, you need to try Yerba Mate for its powerful health benefits.
Have you ever tried Yerba Mate? What is your favorite way of drinking it? Do you have a favorite brand? Share your experiences, we would love to hear from you.
If you are looking for another healthy way to energize your mornings, try Organifi Green Juice as well. It cleanses your cells, energizes your body, boosts your brain power and uplifts your soul.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a holistic health writer who helps health, wellness, and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. She is also a freelance writing mentor teaching wanna-be-freelancers how to make a living writing at freelancewriterschool.com. Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at firstname.lastname@example.org or katgalwriter.com. Visit freelancewriterschool.com for freelance writing tips. Follow me on Instagram @freelancewriterschool and on Facebook at facebook.com/katgalwriter.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS