Why Eating Oatmeal Everyday Can Be A Great Idea
Why You Should Have Oatmeal Everyday
Written by: Brandi Monasco
We all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Eating breakfast each morning gives you many needed benefits, such as helping you to focus better, enhancing your metabolism and also boosting your energy.
What you may not have thought about before is how WHAT you eat for breakfast is just as important as actually eating breakfast.
One of the best things to eat for breakfast is oatmeal. Not only is oatmeal an excellent way to start your day on a cold morning, but it also provides your body with numerous benefits!
- It Lowers High Cholesterol Levels. Eating oatmeal on a regular basis can help to lower your “bad” cholesterol levels, or your LDL. Oatmeal contains a type of soluble fiber called beta-glucan, which dissolves in water and forms a thick gel-like substance in your gut. This gel-like substance is what helps to reduce your “bad” cholesterol levels.
- It Helps You To Lose Weight. The same gel-like substance that helps to lower your “bad” cholesterol levels is also what helps you to lose weight. The gel-like substance fills your gut, which means that when you eat oatmeal, you will feel fuller for longer, reducing your urges to eat even more.
- It Is Healthy For Your Heart. On top of lowering your bad cholesterol levels, which is beneficial for a healthy heart, oatmeal also helps to prevent inflammation in your arteries along with preventing damage within your tissues. Both inflammation and damage in your tissues can contribute to heart disease.
- It Can Help Improve Blood Sugar. Type 2 diabetes is characterized by high or elevated blood sugar levels. Eating oatmeal can help to lower blood sugar levels and can also help to improve insulin sensitivity. The gel-like substance that helps keep you full and lower your cholesterol is also responsible for absorbing glucose in your blood stream.
- It Contains Antioxidants. These antioxidants found in oatmeal are called avenanthramides. These antioxidants help to prevent damage to your LDL cholesterol that can be caused by free radicals. Preventing this damage can help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- It Increases Your Immune Response. Beta-glucan also helps to improve your immune system’s response to disease. The fiber works by helping your immune system components to travel to an infection sight faster. It also increases their ability to help fight and eliminate any bacteria that they find.
Incorporating oatmeal into your daily diet is pretty easy. The best time to eat oatmeal is for breakfast. Try adding almond or coconut milk to your oatmeal, along with some berries or fruit. You can even add spices like nutmeg or cinnamon to give it extra flavor.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy oatmeal? Share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS