Why You Should Gargle Salt Water (Even When You Don’t Have A Sore Throat)
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I don’t always have attention issues… but when I do, there is a high chance it involves being distracted by someone’s TEETH.
Teeth are some of the first things that get noticed when you are having a conversation with someone (not to mention a person’s breath!).
Let’s just cut to the chase here… oral hygiene is mega important – and not just for cosmetic reasons.
Your mouth is an important gateway to your health and HOW you take care of it can influence not only your oral health, but also your overall wellbeing.
You can enhance your oral health naturally, easily and readily by gargling salt water!
What Does Salt Water DO When You Gargle It?
- Draws out inflammatory fluids from the permeable membrane of your skin via osmosis.
- Osmosis: the tendency of a fluid to pass through a semipermeable membrane into a solution where the solvent concentration is higher, which equalizes the concentrations of materials on either side of the membrane.
- The salt water is more concentrated than the inflammatory fluids caused by the bacteria.
- As a result, it pulls out the inflammation and bacteria cannot grow anymore due to the lack of fluids.
Benefits Of Gargling Salt Water
|Cleans Your Mouth
- Salt water improves the smell of your breath and can replace store bought mouthwashes (that are often filled with questionable ingredients)
- Kills bacteria that can lead to infections
- Soothes inflammation and mouth sores
- Acts as a pain killing mouthwash
- Cleans away irritating debris
- Helps reduce swelling
- Cleanses the area around the tooth by drawing the fluids out that are causing the swelling
- Gargle salt water for 30 seconds 2-3 times daily for toothache pain
- Salt water dilutes mucus and makes it flow out
- Clears your throat and nasal congestion
- Helps ease coughing
- Gets rid of and prevents bad breath
- Balances the levels of acid that contribute to bad breath
- Gargle salt water 2 times daily to get rid of bad smell-promoting bacteria and to promote fresh breath!
|Supports Natural pH levels
- Gargling salt water preserves the natural pH of your mouth and throat
- Maintains the natural bacterial flora
- Stops unwanted bacteria from growing
- Eradicates infections
- Known as thrush, which is a fungal infection of the mouth or throat
- Caused by an overgrowth of yeast
- Reduces symptoms, such as difficulty swallowing or white spots in your mouth
|Ease Oral Infections
- Infections in the mouth are caused by bacteria that grow when your immunity is low
- Gargling salt water inhibits the bacteria from growing and causing further infection
How To Gargle Salt Water Effectively
1. Dissolve 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a 1 cup of warm water.
2. Use this water to gargle for 3-4 minutes. Spit the water out.
- Repeat until the water is finished
- DO NOT swallow this water!
Using this technique daily is a quick, easy, natural, and effective way to promote supreme oral health.
Follow up the gargle with these homemade healthy products and you will have the freshest mouth around:
Now all that is left for you to do is smile 🙂
-This post contains affiliate links.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS