Why You Should Eat More Tomatoes
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Do you consider a tomato as a fruit or a vegetable? Well, no matter that they are, there is no doubt that they are amazing, in more than just one way. They are great in salads, on pizzas and in many other dishes.
Not only do they taste great in dishes or even eaten alone, but they are also great for your health. Tomatoes are loaded with tons of vitamins and minerals, which give you numerous health benefits for both inside and outside of your body.
Here are some of the top delicious benefits of tomatoes:
1. Tomatoes Can Help Keep Your Bones Strong. Tomatoes are loaded with both vitamin K and calcium. Both of these nutrients work in both repairing and strengthening bones. Tomatoes also contain lycopene, which is a majorly powerful antioxidant. Lycopene can help to improve bone mass, which makes it essential for fighting against osteoporosis.
2. Tomatoes Keep Your Skin Healthy And Clear. The lycopene that is found in tomatoes helps fight against UV light damage, which helps to protect your skin and keep it free of signs of aging. When you eat tomatoes, your body naturally increases the lycopene and helps keep your skin looking young and radiant.
3. Tomatoes Keep Your Eyes Healthy. They contain vitamin A, which is essential for keeping your eyes healthy and improving vision. Vitamin A is responsible for decreasing your risk of obtaining macular degeneration later in life. It also helps to keep your eyes healthy by reducing your risk of having an eye infection such as pink eye or any other viral eye infection.
4. Tomatoes Reduce Your Risk Of Cancer. According to a study from The University of Montreal, researchers found that the lycopene found in tomatoes helped reduced the risk of having pancreatic cancer by 31%.
5. Tomatoes Contain Potassium. Potassium is a vital nutrient for your body. It helps to keep your kidneys, heart and other major organs healthy in order for them to function normally. Potassium also plays an important role in lowering blood pressure and your risk of stroke and heart disease.
Tomatoes are relatively easy to find. You can find them in any grocery store and even at farmer’s markets. Many people choose to grow their own tomatoes, which makes them available any time they want them.
Already love tomatoes? Here’s a great recipe for a quick appetizer or a healthy snack.
Herb-Parmesan Roasted Tomatoes
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ⅛ tsp kosher salt
- ⅛ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 12 ½-inch-thick tomato slices, from 6 medium tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment. In a small bowl, combine Parmesan, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Add olive oil and stir to form a moist mixture.
2. Arrange tomato slices on baking sheet and spoon a heaping 1/2 tsp of the Parmesan mixture on top of each slice, dividing evenly. Use your fingertips to press into an even layer. Bake until tomatoes are soft and topping begins to brown, about 20 minutes. Serve hot or warm.
Give this recipe a go and let us know how it goes. Have any other delicious recipes for tomatoes? Please share with us in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source, Source
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS