Why You Should Drink More Green Tea
Why You Should Drink More Green Tea
Written by: Brandi Monasco
One of my favorite things about cooler weather is sitting down with a cup of warm tea. Warm green tea is one of my favorites. I love adding a spoonful or two of local honey; something about the mixture warms my soul and makes me feel relaxed and amazing.
Aside from green tea making me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, little did I know that there are so many other great benefits that I am getting when I drink it!
Top 5 Benefits Of Drinking Green Tea:
1. Helps Control Allergies. Green tea is loaded with a powerful antioxidant called EGCG. EGCG helps to block histamine and immunoglobulin that are both responsible for creating those uncomfortable and annoying allergy symptoms. EGCG works by blocking the immunoglobulin receptor putting a stop to your allergic response to whatever triggers your allergies, such as pollen or dust.
2. Keeps You Healthy. The antioxidants found in green tea can help keep you healthy and even improve your health. Antioxidants can help reduce the formation of free radicals in your body, which are responsible for causing damage to your cells and molecules. Free radicals are responsible for playing a role in aging as well as many different diseases. Green tea also contains small amounts of minerals that your body needs in order to stay healthy.
3. Keeps Your Heart Healthy. Studies have shown that the high antioxidant level found in green tea is responsible for keeping your heart healthy. The antioxidants protect the LDL cholesterol particles in your blood stream from oxidation, which is one of the causes of heart disease. Those who drink green tea on a daily basis have up to a 31% lower risk of having cardiovascular disease later on in their life.
4. Helps You Lose Weight. The antioxidants found in green tea could possibly help you to lose weight. The antioxidants, called polyphenols, help you to lose weight by restricting the activity of a carbohydrate digesting enzyme that is found in your saliva. When the digestion of carbs is slowed down, your body is prevented from having a sudden rise in insulin, which actually helps you to burn off fat instead of storing it in your body. The polyphenols can also help to raise your metabolism and you to burn off extra calories.
5. Can Make You Smarter. Drinking green tea does more than keep you awake or give you those warm, fuzzy feelings. In fact, it can make you smarter! The active ingredient found in green tea is caffeine, although it does not contain the same amount of caffeine as a cup of coffee does. Caffeine in green tea blocks an inhibitory neurotransmitter in your brain called adenosine.
Green tea is relatively easy to find. You can find it in pretty much any grocery store or health food store. It is available in bottles, single tea bags, instant-powder and loose-leaf. However, many types of bottled green tea contains sugar or sugar substitutes; this is something that you will want avoid. Green tea is also sold in capsules and liquid extracts.
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, it is suggested that in order to get the maximum benefits from green tea, you should drink 2 to 3 cups per day. This will give you 240 to 320 milligrams of polyphenols. If you decide to take extract supplements, it is recommended that you take 100 to 750 milligrams per day.
Source, Source, Source, Source
Source: T. (2005). The Cure Conspiracy. Peachtree City, GA: FC&A Medical Publishing.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS