Why You Need To Get To Know Jackfruit (5 Vegan Recipes Too!)
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
“WHAT is that?”
I can’t recall how many times these words have come out of my mouth over the last 3 years of traveling all over the world.
Whether I’m in a grocery store, farmer’s market, or sitting down to eat with locals… I am willing to bet there will be at least ONE item placed in front of me that I have no clue what it is.
While in Southeast Asia… JACKFRUIT definitely had me asking “What is that?”
Little did I know that this superfruit is definitely something to discover and a fruit you MUST know about now!
What Is Jackfruit?
- Produces the largest tree-borne fruit in the world!
- One fruit can weigh between 10 to 100 pounds and contain hundreds of seeds.
- Each seed is rich in protein, calcium, iron and potassium.
- A species of tree in the fig, breadfruit and mulberry family.
- Each tree produces 100 to 200 fruits every year.
- Native to South and Southeast Asia.
- Is a healthy and sustainable vegan meat replacement.
5 Things You Must Know About Jackfruit
|Boosts Your Immune System
- Excellent source of vitamin C
- Helps protect against viral and bacterial infections
- Supports white blood cell function
|Supports Healthy Digestion
- Contains anti-ulcer properties
- High in fiber, which helps prevent constipation
- Helps remove carcinogenic chemicals from your intestines
- Contains simple sugars (fructose and sucrose) that give you an instant energy boost
- Contains no saturated fats or cholesterol, making it a fantastic healthy fruit
|Great For Your Skin And Hair
- Rich in vitamin A, a nutrient that helps maintain healthy eyes and skin
- Helps prevent vision related problems such as night blindness and glaucoma
|Protects Against Cancer
- Rich in phytonutrients (lignans, isoflavones, saponins) that have anti-cancer and antiaging properties
- Helps eliminates cancer-causing free radicals from your body
- Slows the degenerations of cells
5 Ways To Eat Jackfruit
1. Make a party favorite: Buffalo Jackfruit Spinach Dip
2. Make a delicious dessert: Vegan Jackfruit Cake
3. Have a yummy meatless Taco Tuesday: Jackfruit Street Tacos
4. Go “under the sea” for dinner: Vegan Crab Cakes
5. Make it into a tasty curry: Easy Vegan Jackfruit Curry
Have you tried jackfruit? How have you cooked with it? SHARE with our Fitlife family below!
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS