Why You Need To Exercise (Beyond Just Weight Loss)
By Brandi Monasco
We all know that exercise is great to help you lose weight and that there are plenty of health benefits from exercising. You may even have a boost of energy when you’re done running that mile.
But, did you know that there are other benefits to daily exercise other than just losing weight?
1. Lowers Your Stress Level. Exercising increases the release of serotonin, which is the “happy hormone.” When this hormone is released, your stress and anxiety levels. When these chemicals and hormones begin to release, you will start to feel more relaxed and happy. The chemicals and hormones also help in reducing depression and sometimes can be just as effective as antidepressant medications. Exercising also releases a chemical in your brain called norepinephrine, which helps your brain’s response to stress.
2. Reduces Your Risk Of Heart Disease. Stroke and heart disease are two of the leading causes of death in the United States. When you exercise on a daily basis, your body is able to lower your blood pressure and get your cholesterol to a healthy level. Getting at least 2 ½ hours of exercise a week can lower your chances of stroke and heart disease.
3. Strengthens Your Bones And Muscles. As you grow older, your bones and muscles can become weak and start to decline. Daily exercise can slow the loss of bone density. Keeping strong muscle mass also works with your metabolism; the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will be able to burn when you’re not working out.
4. Exercise Is Great For Your Brain. When you exercise, your brain is able to get more oxygen and blood flow. Studies that were presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference showed that older people who were able to get daily exercise had less cognitive impairment than those who did not exercise every day. Daily exercise also boosts your memory and your ability to learn new things. It allows your brain to produce more cells that are responsible for learning and memory.
5. Better Looking Skin. Exercising increases blood flow throughout your entire body including your skin. When blood flow is increased throughout your skin, nutrients and oxygen are carried throughout your body and any waste is removed. This is pretty much like cleaning your skin from the inside out. When you are stressed, you will see more acne and blemishes from skin inflammation. However, when you are exercising, you are relieving your stress and that can help improve your skin as well as clear up any acne or blemishes you may already have.
New to exercise and ready to get started?
That’s great! That’s the first step to your new and improved physical AND mental health!
1. Make sure to wear comfortable and properly fitted sneakers with laces.
2. Wear comfortable and loose-fitting clothes that are appropriate to the weather. You don’t want to be too hot or too cold.
3. Start slowly. You will want to take your time and gradually build up to 30 minutes on most days of the week.
4. Exercise at the same time of the day and try to make it part of your regular lifestyle.
What is your favorite way to exercise? Share with us in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source, Source
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS