Why Use Plastic When You Can Use Beeswax To Store Food?
Written by: Kat Gal
Plastic wraps are an environmentally unfriendly, unhealthy and unsustainable way to cover and keep food. Yet, for it’s convenience factor, you may still be using it without having better alternatives that work just the same… until now!
Beeswax cotton wraps are here to save you and redefine your food storage regiment.
Plastic wraps may feel handy in your kitchen when covering left-overs and wrapping sandwiches, but they are a wasteful, single-use material that is damaging to the environment. Being a petroleum product, they are simply not an acceptable part of healthy and natural living. They are filled with chemicals, leaching toxins into your food and damaging your health.
Beeswax cotton wraps are the perfect natural alternatives to plastic wraps.
You don’t even have to buy them – you can make them yourself! DIY beeswax cotton wraps are functional, economical, eco-friendly, reusable and even beautiful. They are a definite safe and effective alternative to plastic.
Here is how to make your own beeswax cotton wraps:
1. Pre-cut your fabric.
2. Preheat your oven at 185 degrees F.
3. Place your fabric on the cookie sheet.
4. Sprinkle the fabric lightly, but evenly with a little bit of beeswax.
5. Place it in your oven for about 5 minutes. Keep watching it, it may take less time.
6. When the beeswax is melted, remove the cookie sheet from the oven.
7. Spread the wax evenly with a brush.
8. Hang it on a clothes line to cool and dry.
Important notes to remember:
- In case the wax begins to harden before you can spread it, just reheat it a bit and try again.
- Make sure to buy high quality beeswax from a health food store, natural store or bee farmer.
- You can buy everything else cheaply at thrift stores if you can’t find them at home.
- Use funky materials for fun wraps. You can use old bed sheets or T-shirts.
- Wash your wraps in cool water with a mild natural soap, for example, liquid castile soap.
- Each wrap can last for several months or even longer. It depends on your usage.
- Use them as you would use plastic wraps.
- If you are not up for DIY, you can, of course, purchase beeswax wraps at natural stores and online. There is no excuse not to create a more natural and plastic-free life.
Try them. I promise they will change your life.
How else have you reduced plastic in your kitchen and home? Share your tips in the comments below. We would love to learn from you and create a healthier and more environmentally sound planet together.
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
-This post contains affiliate links.
Kat Gál is the creator of Long Distance Relationship Help, a site which offers tips, tools, inspiration and resources to create a successful and happy relationships, no matter where in the world you may be. She knows from personal experience that love is possible despite the miles, you just have to navigate your way around it. She is passionate about the world and finds her creativity outlet as a writer and educator. You can follow her on her website and her Facebook page.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS