What To Eat To Kick Anxiety To The Curb
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
The other weekend, I was at a bridal shower and took a few bites of chocolate cake… a seemingly “normal” thing to eat, right?
WRONG – super duper wrong, especially if you have cut sugar out of your diet like I did recently!
The next day I was feeling a little strange and “off.” I was anxious and had a slightly depressed feeling. As I do with most things in life, I questioned WHY I was feeling this way and finally realized – the freaking SUGAR!
You see, I read a LOT of things about health (and love to share them with you). The more I read about sugar and other anxiety-causing foods… the more protective I become about putting it into my body.
If you have ever experienced anxiety, depression, or stress, then it is uber important for you to focus on fueling your body with kind and happy-producing foods that are nourishing to your body – AND mind!
Choosing the right foods can fight inflammation and keep your body working and feeling its best. It all starts in your GUT. The best way to calm your body’s inflammation is to eat anti-inflammatory foods.
Here are the foods that you can start eating right NOW to help you keep calm and kick your anxiety to the curb!
||What To Eat
- Omega 3’s found in fatty fish and nuts are anti-inflammatory.
- Plant-based omega 3’s are rich in antioxidant phytonutrients and polyphenols.
- Coconut oil
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Wild caught salmon, tuna and mackerel
||What To Eat
- One of the best and most well studied anti-inflammatory foods.
- High fiber foods such as seeds, fruits, vegetables, beans and whole grains:
- Are high in vitamin C and E.
- Good source of papain, a protein-digesting enzyme.
- Contain beta-carotene and manganese.
- Chia and flax seeds
- Sweet potato
||What To Eat
- Potent antioxidants.
- Have been used for their anti-inflammatory benefits for centuries.
- Turmeric is believed to be as effective as hydrocortisone in fighting inflammation!
- Raw garlic
- Chili peppers
- Green tea – Contains flavonoids that are naturally anti-inflammatory.
- Broccoli – Its phytonutrients help to rid your body of carcinogenic compounds.
- Shiitake mushrooms – Contain compounds that boost immune function, fight cancer and lower cholesterol.
FOODS TO AVOID
||What To Avoid
- These foods are pro-inflammatory.
- The biggest culprit is refined sugar!
- Found lurking in many processed foods.
- ALWAYS check labels.
- Dishes high in trans fats:
- Increase bad cholesterol (LDL).
- Inflame your arteries.
- Allow harmful free radicals into your body.
- Refined sugars
- Non-organic dairy products
- Red meat (unless grass-fed and organic)
- Preserved dried fruit
- Polyunsaturated vegetable oils
Cheers to great health and happiness!
Please SEND this article to someone you want to share great health with.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS