What To Do To Achieve Your Health Goals When It Gets HOT
By Anni Bedrossian
As a registered nutritionist and health coach, I have found that there are various types of people in the summertime: those who find that the hot weather makes it easier to stick to their health goals and those who find the words ‘hot weather’ and ‘good nutrition’ an oxymoron; those who associate hot weather with ‘barbecues and ice-cold beverages’ and those that associate it with ‘cooling salads and fresh-pressed juices’; those who think ‘it’s just too hot to move’ and those that think ‘I can’t wait to feel the breeze when I bike to work.’
Personally I find it easier to stay on track in the summer. I just naturally gravitate towards lighter foods. But for those of you who find the task a bit more daunting, don’t worry, there are a few good habits that you can incorporate into your day to day life to help keep you on track, without necessarily feeling that you are missing out on all the fun.
Here are my top 5 recommendations to creating good habits in the summertime:
1. Start your day off right. How you begin your day will often dictate how the rest of your day will go. I personally love to start my day with a smoothie. It’s quick, it’s easy and you can really pack in the nutrition!
On top of good quality plant-based protein powder, I always make sure to add in one serving of fruit (blueberries are great), a large handful of greens and some good fat like avocado. I also always add in turmeric for its anti-inflammatory properties and I LOVE cinnamon, which really helps balance out the blood sugar!
The great thing about smoothies is that there is no one way to make them: get creative, have fun, find out what works for you and start packing in the nutrition!
2. Increase your intake of vegetables. Whatever you eat, make sure half of your plate is made up of vegetables. Think of vegetables as being your main meal and anything else you’re having as side dishes. This way you are not depriving yourself of anything, you are just changing your perspective. It will go a long way for keeping you on track with your goals.
3. Increase your water intake. Did you know that thirst signals often feel like hunger signals? Yep. You think you’re hungry when all your body really needs is a tall glass of water. And here’s another fact: most people are in a chronic state of dehydration.
Put both these facts together and think of how many excess and unnecessary calories are consumed this way. Now think of how much more we sweat in the summer and the problem gets compounded yet again. Drink up!
4. Do not let go of your fitness routine. I don’t know about you, but the more I stick to my fitness plan, the more quality nutrition becomes a natural priority in my life. The two just go hand in hand.
Definitely switch it up if you prefer spending your time outdoors versus in the gym (who doesn’t?), but even if it’s just 20 minutes a day, the point is to keep moving!
Ride your bike or walk to work, take a long walk after dinner, join an outdoor bootcamp, or get up 20 minutes early to do a quick at-home workout. Figure out what works for you – the possibilities are endless.
5. Be prepared. This is so key to good nutrition, it’s one of the top things I coach my clients through. Pick one day a week when you buy, wash and cut up all your fruit and veggies and prepare your meals for the week. Let’s face it, eating bad food is just so easy because it’s always available, quick and convenient.
If you want to make sure you stick to quality whole foods, you have to make these types of foods similarly available, quick and convenient. Do not chance that 3pm craving, especially when you are sitting mere feet away from a vending machine. Pack healthy meals and snacks wherever you go.
Start consciously incorporating these habits into your life and you will find that they will become natural parts of your life. And trust me, you’ll be thankful you did come September when you find you don’t have to start all over again!
Healthy habits become just that – habits. Not something you force or something you do because you have to (although at first it may feel that way). You do it because it feels good… and nothing feels better than feeling good.
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Anni Bedrossian is a Registered Holistic Nutritionist, Certified Health Coach and Yoga Teacher. Having healed herself from years of anxiety and insomnia through yoga and sound nutrition, she is a testament to the transformative powers of holistic health and is dedicated to spreading the word to as many people as possible. She believes wholeheartedly that everything we have ever needed or will ever need is within and that deep down we are all superheroes – we all have the power to change our lives!
Latest posts by Anni Bedrossian (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS