What I’ve Learned About Self-Love
Written by: Kat Gal
“When a woman becomes her own best friend, life is easier.”, said Diane Von Furstenberg.
There is so much truth in those words. When I decided to love myself, life became much easier and healing had occurred in my mind, body and soul.
But there was a time I had no idea what self-love was. I thought it was something magical that some people felt and some didn’t. I thought I was one of those who didn’t have it. I thought self-love was a thing – something one already has or a place in which a person arrives.
Then, one day I realized that self-love was a process, not a possession. Once I understood this, I was able to start practicing it and started to change my life one step at a time.
Self-love is not a destination, but a continuous practice. Self-love is a daily decision and a commitment. Self-love is simply a foundation of a happy and healthy life. Self-love is complex. Self-love is a state in which we can all find ourselves in.
Here is what I’ve learned about self-love…
1. Choosing yourself – even if it means you are not fitting in with the crowd or you are not pleasing everyone.
2. Giving your body what it needs – nurturing, nourishment through whole foods, rest and exercise.
3. Engaging in positive self-talk.
4. Being true to yourself – just being who you are instead of pretending or hiding behind masks.
5. Wearing clothes that make you feel good instead of following fashion trends or dressing to impress if those things don’t make you feel your best.
6. Spending quality time connecting with yourself – journaling, nature walks, meditation or engaging in any of your passions.
7. Building a life you love for yourself, whether you are single or in a relationship instead of waiting for someone to hand you your ideal life.
8. Being patient with yourself – letting go of fear and urgency and trusting yourself instead.
9. Surrounding yourself with people that uplift your spirit.
10. Engaging in activities that make your soul smile.
11. Owning your potential and believing in powerless possibilities.
12. Seeking support when you need it and supporting others when they need it: karma goes around and we all need each other.
13. Spending time in nature and feeling connected to the universe.
14. Being grateful for every day and every experience: they shape who you are and create your life.
15. Forgiving yourself for past mistakes and appreciating the learning experience of it.
16. Accepting yourself, all of you – the good and the bad, the light and the shadow – and appreciating who you are as a whole.
17. Living without comparing yourself to others – you are enough as you are.
18. Refusing to ask for permission or approval to be yourself – just be who you are without fear. You are a powerful, beautiful human being.
19. Learning to set boundaries to protect and nurture your relationship with yourself and others.
20. Making time to play – having fun without worry; embracing your inner-child.
21. Following your heart and soul.
22. Taking responsibility for your life and for your experiences.
23. Spending your emotional, mental, financial and physical energy wisely – they affect how much creativity, joy, connection, nurturing, rest, love and happiness you bring into your life.
24. Trusting yourself and your journey and knowing that everything has a reason and that it will all work out.
25. Letting go of labels and the opinion of others – instead embracing who you really are.
26. Staying true to your integrity.
27. Allowing yourself to dream big – the sky is not even the limit; you can do whatever you want. Life is limitless! YOU are limitless!
28. Taking responsibility for your happiness – learning what makes you happy and doing more of that.
29. Knowing that you are enough as you are and that you deserve happiness, health, love and freedom.
30. Loving and accepting yourself even if you feel like you are failing at any or all of these self-love goals: it is a journey, it is a practice, you will get there step by step.
What is self-love to you? How do you show yourself love? Feel free to share in the comments below.
Kat Gál is a professional holistic health writer who helps health, wellness and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. Kat is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person.Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at email@example.com or katgalwriter.com. Check out my Facebook page at www.facebook.com/katgalwriter. and nobsfreelancer.com for freelance writing tips.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS