Vitamin Supplements To Keep Handy
By Brandi Monasco
Keeping yourself and your family healthy is important and with the typical on-the go lifestyle these days, it can be hard to make sure that your family is eating healthy and getting the vitamins and nutrients that they need on a daily basis in order to stay healthy.
The best way to get those essential vitamins and minerals is by eating healthy foods such as salmon for omega-3s, spinach for iron and eggs for vitamin D to keep your bones strong.
If you or your family are not able to get your daily recommended amounts of essential vitamins and minerals through normal diet, the other option is through supplements.
Supplements can include anything from vitamins, minerals, amino acids and even herbal products. They can come in a multitude of forms such as powders, capsules, tablets and energy bars and drinks.
Who Would Need Supplements?
- Women who may become pregnant should be getting 400mg of folic acid each day.
- Women who are pregnant should be taking a prenatal vitamin that contains folic acid and iron.
- Adults that are age 50 or older needs more vitamin B12.
Supplements are great to be added to your daily diet if you:
- Do not eat two to three servings of fatty fish a week.
- Do not have a healthy diet or you consume less than 1,600 calories a day.
- Have a condition that affects how your body absorbs or uses nutrients.
Which Supplements Should You Have On Hand?
- Fish Oil. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids which benefit your body in different ways. Fish oil helps to maintain strong and healthy bones and supports healthy cholesterol levels. Taking fish oil supplements can also help improve your memory!
- Vitamin B. There are actually many different types of B vitamins, such as B6 and B12. Vitamins B6 and B12 can help preserve your vision and reduce your chances of developing macular degeneration and cataracts. Vitamin B12 can also boost your energy and improve your mood.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C fights against oxidative damage that can be caused by free radicals that your body comes into contact with. It can help in shortening the duration of a cold as well as help protect your immune system if it is weakened due to stress. Taking a vitamin C supplement also reduces inflammation as well as lowers your risk for cancer and cardiovascular disease.
- Calcium Tablets. Calcium is one of those nutrients that your body requires. Calcium helps protect your body against high blood pressure, diabetes and some types of cancer. Having calcium supplements on hand is great in the event that you are awaked during the night from leg cramps. Calcium supplements are also handy for helping headaches.
What are some of the vitamins and supplements that you like to keep on hand? Share with us in the comments below!
Source, Source, Source, Source, Source, Source
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS