“Vegetable CANDY” Recipe Using Beets, Sweet Potatos And Coconut Oil
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Want a sweet snack that will boost your metabolism, immune system and energy?
OF COURSE you do!
Did I also mention that its sweet and tasty flavor will surely have you reaching for more (and more)?
Oh – AND it’s made from vegetables ← yes, you read that right. VEGGIES!
Bless the person who discovered how to turn vegetables into “candy.” Two BIG thumbs up for gifting us this delicious recipe.
Check out how to make vegetable candy below:
Health Benefits Of “Vegetable Candy”
- Increases your energy:
- Coconut oil is made up of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs)
- Quickly absorbed by your body
- Rapidly metabolized as fuel (but NOT stored as fat!)
- Speeds up your metabolism:
- When you eat MCTs your metabolic conversion becomes faster
- The calories in MCTs are effectively converted into fuel for your body to use immediately
- Boosts your immune system:
- Nearly 50% of the fatty acids are lauric acid
- Potent antimicrobial properties
- Useful for helping combat viral infections such as the flu, the common cold, fever blisters and cold sores
- Contain a high dose of immune-boosting vitamin C
- Rich in essential minerals, such as potassium
- Essential for healthy nerve and muscle function
- Provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and detoxification support
- Source of phytonutrients, such as betanin
- Source of manganese
- Good for your bones, liver, kidneys and pancreas
- Fiber content helps keep your digestive tract healthy
- Provide an abundance of vitamin A (beta-carotene) – especially for the skin!
- Excellent source of antioxidants
- Valuable for their anti-inflammatory health benefits
- Helps improve blood sugar regulation
- 1 large sweet potato gives you 25% of your daily potassium needs
- Contains fiber, vitamin C, copper, niacin, vitamin B5 and manganese
HOW This Works
When you roast beets and sweet potato in coconut oil, it brings out the sweetness in them… leaving them with a delightfully taste and chewy texture.
How To Make “Vegetable Candy”
- 1 pound of beets, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1 pound of sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. In a mixing bowl, toss the small cubed beets and sweet potatoes in coconut oil and salt.
3. Spread the vegetables evenly onto a baking sheet.
4. Roast in the oven for 35-45 minutes.
- Cook until the veggies are soft and slightly caramelized (and starting to get a little crispy).
- For soft and NOT crispy: shorten the cooking time to 30 minutes.
- For crispy edges: cook longer for 50+ minutes.
Now here is a sweet snack you can eat EVERYDAY! Enjoy!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS