Vegan Cheese Sauce Alternative Recipe You Need To Try
Written by: Kat Gal
People in America love their cheese sauce.
This was a realization I made 15 years ago when I moved here. Growing up in Europe in a non-vegan household, I definitely loved my cheese, but I only knew it in the forms of cheese slices on bread, shredded cheese on pasta and cream cheese wedges, not as a sauce.
Nachos, cheese dips for chips, broccoli with cheese sauce and so on were new to me. I am not going to lie, I came to like it and when I gave up cheese, I had to come up with creative alternatives to eat instead.
If you are thinking about reducing or giving up dairy, or already are a vegan, you don’t have to sacrifice your love for cheese sauce and dips. There are delicious vegan alternatives you can make yourself or find on the market. This recipe is one of them.
This vegan cheesy sauce is:
- Dairy, lactose and casein-free
- High in fiber
- A good source of protein
- An excellent source of vitamin A and K, magnesium, selenium, copper and manganese
Vegan Cheese Sauce
Recipe by Jennifer’s Kitchen
- 3 cups of water
- ⅓ cup of raw cashews
- ½ cup sliced raw carrots or ⅜ cup of shredded carrots
- 2 ½ tsp granulated onion
- ¼ tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tahini
- ¼ cup mild coconut oil
- 3 tbsp tapioca or cornstarch
- Mix 1 cup of water and the first 7 ingredients (cashews through tahini) in a blender until you achieve a very smooth consistency.
- Add oil and blend well.
- Add the corn or tapioca starch and blend again.
- Add your mix into a large sauce pan and add 2 cups of water to it.
- Bring it to boil over medium/high heat. Stir until you achieve a thick consistency and your mix starts to get bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- You can serve it hot or chilled with vegetables, chips, pasta, crackers, or whatever else you may desire.
If you like this recipe, let us know in the comments below. What other cheese and cheese sauce alternatives have you tried? Share with us below.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS