Uses For Clove Beyond Just Cooking
Uses For Clove Beyond Just Cooking
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Cloves have a lot more to them than meets the eye. They are often used in recipes such as pumpkin pies and gingerbread and this is because cloves give off a warm, sweet and aromatic taste to these recipes. The flavor is so versatile that it can also be added to bean soups and meat dishes.
Although this spice is warm and inviting, which entices you to enjoy it even more, cloves have numerous health benefits with their antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate anything from toothaches to digestive issues.
1. Cloves Help Relieve Toothaches
Cloves are loaded with anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that can help relieve swelling and pain when it comes to a toothache. Not only does using clove help relieve the pain and swelling, but the antiseptic property found in clove can also help fight any infection within the tooth and gum.
- Dab a little clove oil on a cotton ball and rub it on the sore tooth and the gums surrounding the tooth.
- After brushing your teeth as normal, add 1 to 2 drops of clove oil to ¼ cup of warm water. Dab a clean toothbrush into the water and brush the affected area with the mixture. You can also rinse your mouth with the remaining water.
- Using cloves, grind up 2 cloves and mix in a little olive oil. Apply the mixture to the affected area.
2. Cloves Help Relieve Nausea And Vomiting
Cloves have an aromatic and soothing property that can help relieve nausea and vomiting. The can also be used to help relieve nausea that is related with pregnancy (but be sure to ask your doctor first!).
- To relieve nausea: Place a few drops of clove oil on a handkerchief or a cotton ball and inhale the smell. You can even chew on one or two cloves.
- To relieve vomiting: Mix clove powder with honey and swallow the mixture. You can also add a few drops of clove oil into warm water and drink slowly.
3. Cloves Kill Bad Breath
Because cloves act as natural antiseptics, they are very helpful in killing the bacteria that cause bad breath. Cloves can also help clean away any bacteria or decaying matter from your palate, tongue and the upper part of your throat. And because cloves have their aromatic properties, they can help combat against bad breath.
- Chew a few pieces of cloves. Within just a few minutes your bad breath will be gone.
4. Cloves Can Help Improve Digestion
Cloves can help prevent gas and if you already have gas, it can help relieve you from it. They also help with boosting your digestive system by promoting the production of enzymes that are present in your digestive tract. They help relax the smooth lining that is located in your gastrointestinal tract, which can help alleviate diarrhea, vomiting, stomach aches and gastric irritability.
- Add a little bit of powdered clove to your foods. You can also eat a clove after your meal.
5. Cloves Help Improve Respiratory Conditions
Cloves have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties that all together can help improve respiratory condition. Using cloves can help alleviate the symptoms of a sore throat, stuffy nose, the common cold, asthma and various sinus conditions.
- Add clove oil to hot water and inhale the steam.
- Drink 2 to 3 cups of clove tea a day when you feel that you are suffering from a respiratory condition.
Cloves have a tough texture and a strong flavor, so many people find that they do not make the best foods to snack on alone. A simple way to add more cloves to your diet is to use ground cloves or clove oil which both can be inserted into capsules and swallowed. You can also add clove to your smoothie or add it into your favorite dishes.
Know any other awesome ways to use cloves or include them in you diet? Share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS