Use These Essential Oils To Say Goodbye To Ants & Spiders
Written by: Joanne Beccarelli
I am an outdoorsy person. I like walks in the woods, swimming in places other than chlorinated pools and even camped at lot back before I could afford hotels!
But my household threshold is where I draw the line, literally. I simply cannot cohabitate with bugs indoors.
Each spring as nature awakens, our home, nestled deep in the woods in an otherwise suburban environment, becomes a beacon to a variety of outdoor friends. Most unwelcome of these are ants and spiders (but especially ants!).
Knowing there are natural ways around most problems led me to a few pretty neat solutions that will leave your home smelling great and clean while confusing the heck out of these pests. Even better is that they rely on one of my favorite tools – essential oils.
Fight Back An Ant Attack!
Most ants enter homes from outside, where their nests are, as they forage for food. You can see them taking regular routes which they share with their fellow workers by establishing a chemical (pheromone) trail to follow to and from. Following a trail of ants back to the nest where you can wipe out the colony is an ideal and permanent solution, but often that is not possible. The next best thing to to disrupt their communication and wipe their tracks clean.
Luckily there are botanical scents that interfere with the ways ants communicate and remove the trail that was established when inside food was found, leaving them with no direction to follow or place to go.
Essential Oils To Deter Many Household Bugs
Use these essential oils to erase those ant tracks so that they don’t enter and bring their army along. They are good for ants, spiders, ladybugs and more. In addition, some essential oils are known to kill on contact.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil
- Peppermint Essential Oil
- Lemon Essential Oil
- Orange Essential Oil
- Clove Essential Oils
Be careful using essential oils around cats and small dogs, especially undiluted.
4 Ways To Use Essential Oils to Keep Ants Out
1. To a pail of water, add a total of 10-15 drops of essential oils using one or more of the listed oils. Then clean and mop as usual. If you continue to see ants, you need to increase the amount of essential oils you are using.
2. Make my Natural Ant & Spider Repellent Spray to keep handy for whenever you see ants. See recipe below.
- Spray the trail you see ants taking to disrupt their pheromone communication.
- Use the same spray to create a barrier around doors, windows and cracks – any point of entry.
3. Put 1-2 drops of an essential oil on a cotton ball and leave in window sills, tucked up high into curtains and other places where many bugs like to enter and gather.
Natural Ant & Spider Repellent Spray
Author: Joanne Beccarelli, GLAD for Health
- 1 16 ounce glass spray bottle
- 20 drops tea tree essential oil
- 10 drops of peppermint oil
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup distilled water
- 1 teaspoon castile soap (Dr. Bonners)
- Combine all ingredients in a 16 oz spray bottle.
- Shake thoroughly.
Joanne Beccarelli is a holistic health coach, juicing junkie, writer, soon to be cookbook author and recovered emotional eater. Inspired by many great voices in the health-thru-food revolution, Joanne found her way out of hiding in shame (losing almost 100 lbs in the process) and stepped away from the corporate world. She now dedicates every day to helping others who are overwhelmed, overworked, and overstressed, find awareness, fulfilment and better health.
Joanne has a Certificate in Plant Based Nutrition from eCornell/T. Colin Campbell Foundation, and became a Certified Health Coach through the Institute of Integrative Nutrition. She is also a member of American Association of Drugless Practitioners (AADP), and the International Association of Health Coaches (IAHC).
Latest posts by Joanne Beccarelli (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS