Use Epsom Salt For Smoother, Healthier Hair
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I’m not proud to admit this… but I’ve washed my hair with hand soap… just this past week.
Ya see, I’m currently backpacking in Europe with a VERY small bag and I usually just scavenge for toiletries wherever I am staying.
No such luck with proper shampoo THIS time, so hand soap it was.
As a result of using questionable soaps and spending lots of time at the beach in the sea… the texture of my hair has taken on a whole new personality (and not in a good way).
In an act of desperation to get back my soft and happy hair, I went on a hunt for economical and natural ways to enhance my hair and was pleasantly surprised when I came across the many (and I mean MANY) uses of Epsom salt!
Go grab yourself a bag and check out how YOU can use this versatile “salt” below!
What Is Epsom Salt?
- Salt? NOT so much! Epsom salt isn’t even a salt.
- Named after a bitter saline spring at Epsom (Surrey, England)
- A naturally occurring mineral compound of magnesium and sulfate
- Readily absorbed through the skin usually via bath
- Reduces inflammation
- Helps muscle and nerve functions
- Prevents artery hardening
- Improves the absorption of nutrients
- Flushes out toxins
How To Use Epsom Salts To Get Luxurious Hair
|Hair Purifier & Cleaner
- Add Epsom salt to your shampoo
- Helps get the oils out
- Rinse your hair as usual
- Mix equal parts of Epsom salt with hair conditioner and heat up the mixture in a pan
- Massage the mixture into your hair
- Start at the roots and work to the tips
- Let it sit for 20 minutes
- Rinse your hair as usual
- Use the same mixture above for smoother hair
- Apply the treatment once weekly to help get rid of excess oil that can weigh your hair down
OTHER Ways To Use Epsom Salts
- Mix Epsom salt with face cream (or face wash)
- Gently rub this mixture on your face
- Rinse as usual
- Mix Epsom salt with a little coconut oil and rub onto your lips
- Can also be used for the body as well!
- Soothe dry, cracked feet by mixing Epsom salt, olive oil, castile soap and a few drops of your favorite essential oil
- Rub this mixture onto your feet daily for best results
- Epsom salt has anti-inflammatory properties, which make it great for taming sunburned skin
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt with 1 cup of water in a spray bottle
- Spray area as needed for relief
- Soak in an Epsom salt bath for 20 minutes
- Helps relieve tension in your muscles
- Provides relief for headaches
- Add a teaspoon of Epsom salt to water and drink
- Helps flush out the toxins
- Follow it up by drinking a LOT of water to rehydrate
- Epsom salt acts as a natural laxative
- Drink a teaspoon with some water
- Will encourage your bowels to get moving again
|Relieve Muscle Pain
- Submerge your body in an Epsom salt bath to help speed up recovery and ease muscle pain
- Soak in an Epsom salt bath before bed to help soothe your muscles and relieve tension
- Helps ease anxious feelings
- Relaxes your body and prepares you for better sleep
- Fade bruises my mixing 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt with water
- Apply this mixture to the bruised area
- Helps with mild discoloration
What is your favorite way to use Epsom salt?
Please SHARE with us in the comments below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS