Turn Your Body Into A Calorie-Burning Beast
By Brandi Monasco
Your metabolism is your body’s way of processing what you eat and drink into energy. It’s a complex process that involves the calories of food and drinks getting combined with oxygen to release energy that your body needs in order to function.
Your body uses energy whether you are moving or resting. It needs the energy to be able to breathe, adjust hormone levels and to grow and repair cells.
Your metabolism is linked to the type of nutrition that you put into your body. Your body relies on nutrients to produce energy. Eating good, healthy food can help increase your metabolism. Eating not-so-healthy food such as processed or fatty foods can reduce your metabolism.
However, just eating healthy isn’t always key to revving up your metabolism. At any given time, your metabolism can speed up or slow down. Sometimes eating healthy and working out just isn’t enough, so we need to give it a little boost.
Here are some ways you can get that needed boost:
1. Eat Healthy Fats. Eat foods that contain omega-3 fatty acids such as salmon and tuna. The omega-3 stimulates the production of leptin, which is a hormone that increases the feeling of being full. Nuts such as almonds and cashews also contain omega-3 fatty acids.
2. Eat Small Meals. Eating small meals every 3 to 4 hours can help boost your body’s fat-burning potential. Eating more frequently allows you to avoid binge eating or cravings because your body is being “fueled” regularly. Make sure that when you eat, you eat healthy whole foods such as veggies and fruit. Plus, you will have more energy and will cheat on your diet less. You will realize that you will be eating more, which is exactly what your body needs to speed up your metabolism.
3. Drink Water. A study confirmed that 10 minutes after drinking 17 ounces of water, your metabolic rate increases by 30%. The study also showed that for someone who increases their water consumption by 1.5 liters a day would burn an extra 17,400 calories a year, resulting in a weight loss of five pounds per year.
4. Sleep At Least 8 Hours Each Night. Getting a full 8 hours of sleep can do a lot for your body and your body performs at its best when you get a restful night’s sleep. When you are sleep deprived, your metabolism slows down to conserve energy. Not getting enough sleep can also throw your hunger and appetite hormones off, making you crave food and eat more than you normally would.
5. Get Moving. Exercise is the most effect way to rev up your metabolism. Cardio exercises and weightlifting protects against a drop in your metabolism. The more intense your workout is, the more calories you will burn and you will keep burning calories for the rest of the day! Strengthening your muscles by lifting weights also helps in revving up your metabolism. Muscles use more calories so strengthening your muscles will turn you into a calorie-burning beast!
To rev up your metabolism, it is important to understand what will work with your body and what your actions do to your body. Make sure that you don’t over indulge, but don’t eat too little either. Eating too little calories can slow down your metabolism because it will be trying to conserve energy. Make sure that you are getting plenty of water and lots of organic, fresh fruits and vegetables.
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS