Top Tips For Naturally Keeping Your Skin Healthy And Hydrated
Written by: Kavata Kithome
As a person who has suffered from severe eczema, I never thought that I would ever experience the joy of a beautiful, glowy, dewy and unblemished complexion.
I always had uneven skin that was often riddled with blemishes and scars that came from me scratching my skin raw. From a young age, I accepted that beautiful skin was something that would forever elude me.
While on my wellness and health journey, however, I learned many different ways to help my body from within and little did I know that, like everything else on my body, my skin would recover too.
I began to understand my skin type and from there the foods, supplements and care it needed. Now 10 years later, I enjoy a clearer complexion that I often get compliments for and little to no eczema breakouts.
Here Are My General Skin Care Tips:
- Drink Water And Eat Healthy Fats: My skin is dry and is highly affected by the elements, which means that I am prone to wrinkling. My skin dehydrates very easily, so I found that drinking more water and eating healthy fats like avocado and olives really helps hydrate and lubricate my skin.
- Add Collagen To Your Diet: Adding collagen to my diet made a huge difference for my skin health. I did this by taking in bone broth. Whenever I eat, I make sure that I have healthy fats and protein to not only mend, but also thicken my skin barrier.
- Use The Right Soap: When bathing with soaps containing sulfates, my skin dries up and becomes very scaly. The only soap that my skin loves is Dr. Bronner’s Castile liquid soap. This soap not only thoroughly cleans my skin, but also leaves it super moisturized. My favorite scent is lavender.
- Keep Showers Lukewarm And Use Oil: Using hot temperature water also dries my skin and leaves me itchy, so instead I use lukewarm water and after the shower, I pat or air dry and then immediately apply oil to my skin. My skin loves oil! I call it my “body potion.” In the winter, I use a mixture of olive oil, avocado oil and vitamin E oil mixed together with jasmine or rose essential oils and in summer, I use a mixture of olive oil, jojoba oil, grapeseed oil and vitamin E oil with orange and eucalyptus essential oils.
- Keep Your Surroundings Clean: Aside from all the above, I also ensure that I wear clean clothing, wash my sheets often, use clean towels and even clean my phone.
- Apply Oil To Your Face: For my face, I use a mixture of argan oil, jojoba oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E oil and a few drops of castor oil. This helps my complexion and keeps my skin super hydrated. Around my eyes, I dab just a little coconut oil mixed with vitamin E oil around the eyes.
I am by no means a beauty expert. I feel that beauty is achieved when you have a firm understanding of what works and what doesn’t when it comes to your body, because like they say, what is good for the goose is not always good for the gander.
Do you have a similar experience with your skin care? Do you know any other tricks that can help people get closer and closer to flawless skin? Please share your thoughts with us in the comments below!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS