Written by: Kat Gal
Say goodbye to the half-white, tasteless, overpriced strawberries in your supermarket. Strawberry season is here! It’s time to search for strawberry fields and go strawberry picking. With a lack of time for such fun activities, it’s time to go to your local farmer’s market and get several buckets of fresh strawberries.
Strawberries are awesome and here are 7 reasons to love them:
1. Strawberries are an excellent source of antioxidants – Antioxidants provide protection for your cells against cancer-causing damage. Other dark berries are also full of them.
2. Strawberries promote a healthy blood pressure – Strawberries are a good source of potassium, which helps in blood pressure regulation and promotes heart health.
3. Strawberries are full of Vitamin C – Oranges are not the only fruit with Vitamin C in them. Strawberries are also rich in Vitamin C, helping your immune system to stay strong.
4. Strawberries lower blood sugar – Fruits are an essential part of healthy, whole-food, plant-based diets, yet people are afraid of fruit sugar. Good news for the fruit-phobics and those conscious of their blood sugar, strawberries may actually prevent blood sugar spikes.
5. Strawberries ease inflammation – The C-reactive protein (CRP) is a signal of inflammation in the body and strawberries lower the blood levels of CRP. In a study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week had 14% less likelihood of elevated CRP.
6. Strawberries are good for your heart – Strawberries are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids are not only responsible for the color and flavor of the fruit, they lower the risk of heart disease.
8. Strawberries are high in fiber – Fiber is essential for healthy digestion and therefore may enhance weight loss and promote overall health. Everything starts in the gut, after all.
How You Can Enjoy Strawberries