Top Reasons to Love Strawberries and Great Ways to Eat Them
Written by: Kat Gal
Say goodbye to the half-white, tasteless, overpriced strawberries in your supermarket. Strawberry season is here! It’s time to search for strawberry fields and go strawberry picking. With a lack of time for such fun activities, it’s time to go to your local farmer’s market and get several buckets of fresh strawberries.
Strawberries are awesome and here are 7 reasons to love them:
1. Strawberries are an excellent source of antioxidants – Antioxidants provide protection for your cells against cancer-causing damage. Other dark berries are also full of them.
2. Strawberries promote a healthy blood pressure – Strawberries are a good source of potassium, which helps in blood pressure regulation and promotes heart health.
3. Strawberries are full of Vitamin C – Oranges are not the only fruit with Vitamin C in them. Strawberries are also rich in Vitamin C, helping your immune system to stay strong.
4. Strawberries lower blood sugar – Fruits are an essential part of healthy, whole-food, plant-based diets, yet people are afraid of fruit sugar. Good news for the fruit-phobics and those conscious of their blood sugar, strawberries may actually prevent blood sugar spikes.
5. Strawberries ease inflammation – The C-reactive protein (CRP) is a signal of inflammation in the body and strawberries lower the blood levels of CRP. In a study, women who ate 16 or more strawberries per week had 14% less likelihood of elevated CRP.
6. Strawberries are good for your heart – Strawberries are rich in flavonoids. Flavonoids are not only responsible for the color and flavor of the fruit, they lower the risk of heart disease.
7. Strawberries are great for bone health – Strawberries contain magnesium, potassium and Vitamin K, all of which are responsible for healthy bones.
8. Strawberries are high in fiber – Fiber is essential for healthy digestion and therefore may enhance weight loss and promote overall health. Everything starts in the gut, after all.
How You Can Enjoy Strawberries
- Eat them raw – My favorite way to eat strawberries is as they are, straight from Mother Nature.
- Mix them in a fruit salad – Still raw, but mixed with other fruits, strawberries are super enjoyable.
- Blend them in a smoothie – Adding strawberries to your smoothies will add a mildly sweet flavor and a beautiful color.
- Make flavored water – Add 3-5 strawberries to a jug of water, let it sit in your fridge for an hour and voila! You have natural flavored water.
- Bake them – In a balanced diet, there is time to indulge. You can make raw desserts, but once in a while, it is totally okay to bake with healthier ingredients. Strawberry crumble is one of my favorites.
Kat Gál is a professional holistic health writer who helps health, wellness and nutrition businesses to market their products and services through quality online content. She is also a Certified Holistic Health & Life Coach. Kat is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. Reach out if you are looking for amazing blog content at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS