Top Reasons Coconut Oil Helps You Lose Weight
By Lindsay Sibson
I am seriously crazy for coconuts. Especially coconut oil.
Many call it a superfood because of its many amazing uses and benefits. From cooking to baking, coconut oil is by far one of the best oils out there. Not to mention there is scientific evidence to show that coconut oil directly affects the body’s ability to lose weight. From supporting thyroid health and hormone health to boosting your metabolism, coconut oil can be a star performer when it comes to losing those excess pounds.
Here are 5 ways how coconut oil can help you lose weight:
1. Absorb Nutrients Better: Consuming coconut oil daily will help your digestive tract to efficiently absorb fat-soluble vitamins such as Vitamin A, D, K and E. By helping your body absorb more of these vitamins, you will enhance cell regeneration, improve your brain function, get glowing skin, as well as improve your mood while reducing stress. As a result of absorbing nutrients more efficiently, your body will have an all over better feeling!2.
2. Boost Your Energy Level: Thanks to the medium chain triglycerides (MCT) found in coconut oil, you will experience a natural energy boost by consuming this amazing oil. MCT is an essential fatty acid that is not stored as fat in the body, but instead gets delivered to the liver where it is transformed into energy.
3. Stabilize Your Blood Sugar: Having a tablespoon or two of coconut oil daily promotes the efficient creation and use of insulin in your body, which helps maintain a stable blood sugar. When your body has the proper amount of insulin, your cells get the necessary amount of blood-sugar (glucose) they need to keep your body fueled and fired up for all of life’s adventures!
4. Decrease Food Cravings: The processing of the MCT’s found in coconut oil forms ketone bodies, which reduce hunger and cravings. Also, consuming a spoonful of coconut oil 20 minutes before a meal will significantly reduce your appetite and allow you to be satisfied with eating smaller portions. You will also feel full more quickly!
5. Burn Fat Quickly: Coconut oil ramps up your body’s fat-burning potential. Because coconut oil promotes better digestion and nutrient absorption, you will feel energetic and properly fueled to tackle your daily tasks. You will be able to eat less without feeling tired and weak – which will give you more time and energy to move your body!
Need ideas as to how to get more coconut oil in your daily diet? Here are 7 ways to consume this amazing oil regularly:
1. Eat it straight from the spoon! Simple and delicious.
2. Add 2 tablespoons to your morning tea or coffee (or warm water with lemon).
3. Cook with it – swap out olive oil for coconut oil (it has a higher smoke point so you don’t have to risk it going rancid, like you do with olive oil and most others).
4. Add it to a smoothie.
5. Use it as a salad dressing.
6. Bake with it – use coconut oil instead of butter or other oils.
7. Oil pulling! So great for oral health as well as immunity!
Unsure of which coconut oil to use? Not all coconut oils are created equal. Here are some quick guidelines to help you choose the healthiest coconut oil so that you can reap all of the above benefits.
Refined vs. Virgin Coconut Oil?
Choose… VIRGIN COCONUT OIL.
Virgin coconut oil is the least refined version of coconut oil, because the process of extracting the oil starts with the fresh coconut. The alternative is RBD oil (refined, bleached, deodorized), which starts from a product called copra. Copra is a dried coconut that has been removed from the shell. It is often smoky and dirty and needs a lot of refining in order to be consumed. Yuck!
**If there is no description and only the term “coconut oil” on the package, it is most likely RBD oil!
Extra Virgin vs. Virgin Coconut Oil?
There is actually no difference! It is simply a marketing term and NOTHING else.
And What About ORGANIC Coconut Oil?
There are NO GMO varieties of coconuts and few pesticides are used on coconut trees. Therefore, choosing “ORGANIC” isn’t necessary.
Unfortunately, many coconut oil labels do not offer the nitty gritty details about the process they use, so it is up to you to do your research online first! It may be necessary to contact the manufacturer to find out more details about the oil.
Here is a simple chart to help guide you in choosing the best coconut oil:
Lucky for you, I’ve done some research and found some commonly available coconut oil options:
1. Niulife Coconut Oil
2. Dr. Bronner’s Coconut Oil
3. Aunt Patty’s Coconut Oil
4. Trader Joe’s Virgin Coconut Oil
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS