Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are what make your body “go ‘round.”
It is uber important to have a proper intake of these elements in your daily diet.
Vitamin B6 in particular is a powerhouse in regards to your health, wellness and overall energy levels.
Let’s take a look at what vitamin B6 is all about…
WHAT Is Vitamin B6?
WHY Do You Need Vitamin B6?
When you are deficient in vitamin B6, it can result in:
HOW To Get Vitamin B6
1. Bananas: They are loaded with vitamin B6, which help convert carbohydrates into fuel. A 100 gram medium size banana yields 18% of your daily B6 needs. They are also an excellent source of energy and are loaded with potassium, which provides health benefits such as relief from stroke, blood pressure, heart and kidney disorders, anxiety and stress, enhanced muscle strength, metabolism, water balance, electrolytic functions and nervous system support.
2. Sunflower Seeds: These tiny seeds are packed with B6 as well as vitamins E, B1, folate and iron. A 100 gram serving of sunflower seeds provides 67% of your daily needed dose. Also try pumpkin, squash, flax and sesame seeds to get a healthy dose of B6!
3. Tuna (And Other Fish): Get 53% of your daily vitamin B6 needs by eating 100 grams of tuna. Swordfish, halibut, salmon and herring are also packed with B6 as well as omega 3 fatty acids, vitamins B3 and B6, magnesium, phosphorus and selenium.
4. Nuts: Reach for walnuts, cashews, hazelnuts, peanuts, macadamia, or pistachios (the best source, containing 56% of your needs per 100 grams) to get flooded with vitamin B6. Go ahead… go NUTS!
5. Dried Fruits: Eating 100 grams of dried prunes provides 37% of your daily vitamin B6 needs. Also get calcium, iron, potassium, vitamin A and copper by eating other dried fruit such as apricots and raisins. Add these to your salad, oatmeal, yogurt, or trail mix to get a B6 boost. Stick to one portion, because dried fruit has a high sugar content.
6. Chicken, Beef, Turkey And Pork: By eating a 100 gram serving of the following meats, you can get the corresponding percentage of your daily vitamin B6 needs:
Choose one of the above foods to eat TODAY and then SHARE this information with you network to promote a healthy and happier vitamin B6-rich diet!