Top 5 Amazing Benefits Of Raw Honey
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Winnie the Pooh has always said that “Eating honey is a very good thing to do.” He was right. There is some powerful truth to eating honey and it actually being a health food!
Not only does it help with your sweet tooth, but it also has a number of medicinal uses. It’s been a staple in American households for generations and has been used for those amazing uses for longer than that.
Raw honey (nectar from flowers) is honey that has not been heated, pasteurized or processed. It is collected straight from the extractor and can usually be purchased directly from a bee farm.
Raw honey has anti-bacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties and because of this, it is extremely beneficial to your body.
Top 5 Amazing Benefits Of Raw Honey
1. Honey can be used as a natural cough syrup. Honey can be mixed with lemon in warm heat to create an organic cough syrup or suppressant. The lemon helps by alkalinizing your body while the honey can kill any bacteria.
2. Helps relieve the symptoms of colds and sore throats. Honey has natural antibiotic properties, which help with relieving the symptoms of colds and sore throats. It does this by coating the throat and reducing the irritation.
3. Works as an aid for acne. Just a small amount of honey can often help clear up your skin in a short amount of time. If you have problems with acne, simply place a small amount on the blemishes and acne nightly. Leave it on for 15 to 30 minutes then wash it off with warm water and a soft cloth. Washing your face with honey can also leave you with clean and soft skin.
4. Honey can be used to help wounds. Studies have shown that, because of honey’s antiseptic property, it can help you recover from wounds such as serious infections, scalded skin, skin rashes, burns and minor cuts.
“Numerous scientific studies have been conducted to observe the wound healing properties honey can possess. Researchers from the University of Auckland, New Zealand, have discovered how honey was able to effectively reduce the healing times of burn wounds.”
5. Honey can help with seasonal allergies. If you suffer from seasonal allergies like many people do and you’re able to pick up a jar of raw, local honey, eating a spoonful (tablespoon) of honey a day is said to be able to help eliminate the symptoms of seasonal allergies. Eating a spoonful a day can help gradually build immunity to the allergens in your area (must be local).
“The idea behind eating honey is kind of like gradually vaccinating the body against allergens, a process called immunotherapy.
“Honey contains a variety of the same pollen spores that give allergy sufferers so much trouble when flowers and grasses are in bloom. Introducing these spores into the body in small amounts by eating honey should make the body accustomed to their presence and decrease the chance an immune system response like the release of histamine will occur.”
Be sure that you chose a raw and organic honey. Any honey that has been pasteurized and heated during the manufacturing process destroys the enzymes and nutrients, reducing the medicinal properties.
If possible, choose a honey that is locally harvested from the area you live. Eating locally grown honey can help allow your body to adjust and adapt to its environment.
Do you have any favorite remedies or recipes that involve raw honey? Feel free to share them with us below, we love to hear from you!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS