6 Early Warning Signs That You’re Depressed and the Essential Oils You Need to Treat it Naturally
By Lindsay Sibson
Down in the dumps.
Down and out.
Feeling beside yourself.
No matter how you say it, the consistent underlying tone represented in the phrases above is that of sadness and being depressed. While these are emotions that plague us all from time to time, it can become a serious problem when these feelings are part of your everyday life.
Let’s take a look at what depression is, where is comes from and more importantly, what YOU can do to naturally and effectively reduce depression using 4 particular essential oils.
Signs Of Depression:
- Constant Sadness
- Consistent Fatigue
- Low self-esteem
- Low sex drive
- Loss of appetite
Unfortunately, depression is incredibly common and chances are that you personally know someone who is suffering from depression right now. Major depression is one of the most common mental illnesses in the United States, according to U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Causes Of Depression:
- Chronic stress
- Emotional problems from the past
- Hormonal imbalances
- Toxins in your body
- Lack of sunlight exposure
- Poor diet, which causes nutritional deficiencies
- Food allergies
One of the most common ways people treat depression is with prescription medication, which may be necessary. However, what is scary about these drugs is that they can have serious negative side effects, such as suicidal thoughts, weight gain and unusual personality changes.
There are natural ways to help combat depression and reduce its symptoms. Essential oils are a natural remedy that can easily be incorporated into your wellness plan.
How Do Essential Oils Work?
Essential oils were proven to elevate mood when examined in clinical trials. The oil, when smelled, serves as an emotional trigger, because smells are immediately carried to your brain. Your limbic system, which controls your basic fears and drives, evaluates the sensory stimuli and registers pleasure, pain, safety, or danger.
As a result, your emotional responses are directed and created by these stimuli. Feelings such as anger, fear, depression and attraction are all part of these responses.
Fresh baked cookies, your favorite dinner baking in the oven, your lover’s perfume… scents are POWERFUL in your life, because they are strongly tied to your memory and emotions. In fact, your basic emotions and hormonal balance are direct responses to basic smells.
Therefore, by smelling essential oils and triggering positive and happy memories and emotions, it can help fight depression and anxiety.
The TOP 4 Essential Oils For Depression:
- Comes from a plant that produces a type of citrus fruit.
- Is very stimulating, which makes it an effective antidepressant.
- Improves the circulation of your blood.
- Creates feelings of joy, energy and freshness.
- Natural remedy for anxiety.
- Comes from a small aromatic shrub of the mint family.
- Has a long history for its medicinal benefits being used to help combat depression.
- Helps relieve stress and improve sleep.
- No adverse side effects from using lavender oil to help with anxiety and depression (unlike psychotropic drugs, which often have numerous negative side effects).
- Improves mood (especially if suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)).
- A study of people with PTSD showed that using lavender oil daily:
- Decreased depression by 32.7%
- Drastically decreased sleep disturbances and moodiness
- Helped improve overall health
3. Roman Chamomile
- Fights stress and promotes relaxation.
- Provides soothing qualities to help with depression.
- Inhaling chamomile (using chamomile oil) is recommended by The Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine and Pharmacognosy Review as a natural remedy for anxiety and depression.
4. Ylang Ylang
- Helps stave off negative emotions associated with depression.
- Has mild sedative effects, which lower your stress response.
- Encourages your body and mind to relax.
- When inhaled, it can have immediate positive effects on your mood.
- Can help release negative emotions such as low self-esteem, jealousy and anger.
How To Use Essential Oils For Depression
1. Put a diffuser by your bed and diffuse oils while you sleep at night.
- Can help relieve stress while improving your sleep.
2. Rub topically behind your ears, stomach, bottoms of your feet and the back of your neck.
3. Rub a few drops on your hands, cup them over your mouth then breathe in slowly several time.
4. Give yourself a self-massage with this relaxing blend of oils for depression relief.
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- 20 drops chamomile essential oil
- 2 ounces grapeseed oil
- Blend all ingredients in a glass jar and use at night to massage your hands, neck and feet (or bring to a professional masseuse to use during your massage).
Essential Oils For Depression Risks
To keep yourself as safe as possible, it is best to use essential oils sparingly (both internally or topically) and to use ONLY 100% pure essential oil. Excessive use may cause reactions and sensitivity, so as a precaution, test a small area of your skin BEFORE you use a new oil regularly.
If you are brand new to using essential oils, it is best to consult with your doctor before beginning any new treatment – especially if you:
- Take blood pressure medications
- Have an existing heart condition
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding – most oils are safe for children. However, always do proper research and review with your doctor BEFORE using
What You NEED To Remember:
- Depression is widespread and is the most common mental disorder in the United States, affecting millions of people.
- It is possible to treat depression naturally and there are many ways to do so, essential oils is an effective and natural method.
- Essential oils can be used in an oil diffuser or applied topically.
Depression affects each person differently, which can result in a variety of treatment plans. However, using these 4 essential oils is a safe and natural remedy to help lower your anxiety and stress levels. By doing so, it can also help negate negative emotions and reverse depressed feelings.
Knowledge is power – and the more you know, the better you can care for yourself and others. Help spread this knowledge now by SHARING this information about essential oils with your family and friends.
Source: Dr. Axe
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS