Top 10 Whole Foods To Support Heart Health
By Steve Filmore
Heart health is incredibly important for the overall health and wellness of the body. The heart is responsible for circulating properly oxygenated blood throughout the body to ensure that everything is functioning normally and efficiently.
Importance of Heart Health
Your heart is the center of your cardiovascular system and it’s vitally responsible for just about everything that gives your body life. It’s the ‘motor’ that keep you going and should be loved, supported and nurtured as such.
Here are the top ten whole foods to add to your diet and promote heart health. Including these foods into your diet on a regular basis with help keep your heart healthy and your body happy and strong!
1. Salmon. Salmon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for heart and brain health. Omega-3 fatty acids are crucial for protecting the heart and blood vessels for optimal health and wellness. Making a meal with this nutrient-dense food just a couple times a week can help promote a healthy heart, without having to worry about supplements or fish oil capsules.
2. Oatmeal. Oatmeal is filled with plenty of nutrients and minerals, such as soluble fiber, calcium, potassium, magnesium, folate and niacin. These minerals are adept at protecting the heart and blood cells, as well as regulating various bodily systems.
3. Kidney and Black Beans. Beans are important for helping to keep digestion moving and healthy, but they are also a heart healthy food as well. Both black and kidney beans contain B-complex vitamins, as well as omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, magnesium and more.
4. Nuts. Walnuts and almonds are a great snack and also happen to promote heart health. Raw, unsalted nuts are easy to carry on the go and contain high levels of Vitamin E, mono and polyunsaturated fats, plant omega-3 fatty acids and phytosterols. All of which are powerful heart-healthy super stars!
5. Tomatoes. Tomatoes are high in heart-healthy potassium. Plus, they’re a good source of the antioxidant lycopene. Lycopene is a carotenoid that may help get rid of “bad” cholesterol, keep blood vessels open and lower your risk for heart attacks. And because they’re low in calories and low in sugar, they’re a great addition to a balanced diet.
6. Pomegranate. Pomegranates contains numerous antioxidants, including heart-promoting polyphenols and anthocyanins, which may help stave off hardening of the arteries. One study of heart disease patients found that a daily dose of pomegranate juice, over three months, showed improvements in blood flow to the heart.
7. Blueberries. Filled with plenty of antioxidants, blueberries are another perfect heart healthy snack. They contain carotenoids, flavonoids, polyphenols and Vitamin C. Blueberries are also a great source of potassium and fiber for healthy digestion and regularity.
8. Spinach. A dark green color is an indicator of lots of minerals and vitamins. Spinach contains lutein, B-complex vitamin, calcium, fiber and much more. This healthy leafy green vegetable contains plenty of other nutrients and can be added to salads, sandwiches and plenty of other dishes for a large dose of nutrients.
9. Oranges. Best known as a good source of Vitamin C, oranges are also full of carotenoids, fiber, potassium and other nutrients to keep your immune system – and heart healthy and strong.
10. Dark Chocolate. Dark chocolate is bursting with antioxidants, resveratrol, and cocoa phenols. This food has been proven to lower blood pressure and detoxify the body. Choose dark chocolate with 70% cocoa content, or higher to reap the amazing benefits.
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS