Today’s Healthiest Seed (are you using it?)
Written by: Wendy Frisby
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is technically a seed from the Andean Region of South America. The seeds are small and range in color.
Quinoa is a wonderful source of protein, it’s gluten-free and is easily digestible. Other fabulous attributes are that it contains amino acids, phosphorous, magnesium and iron as well as being a good source of fiber.
Quinoa can be used in place of rice, couscous or other grains. It also can make a wonderful cereal with dried fruits, a drizzle of raw honey and nuts. It takes on any flavor you add to it, so don’t be afraid to get creative.
How To Cook It
- Use a 2:1 ratio of water to quinoa.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- When cooked, it is translucent and chewy and has a slightly nutty taste. I love to mix it with chopped vegetables.
Nutritionally, a ½ cup of quinoa contains a ton of benefits, including:
- 262 calories
- 4.8g fat
- 57.7g carbs
- 5.1g fiber
- 10.2g protein
- 20% RDA Iron
- 39% RDA Phosphorus
- 85% RDA Riboflavin
Enjoy trying something new!
- 1 cup of quinoa, rinsed thoroughly
- ½ cup carrots, peeled and cut
- ½ cup chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon of grass-fed butter, ghee or coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon of tamari or coconut aminos
- *chopped chicken or beef (optional)
- In a saute pan, put 2-3 cups of water and quinoa on medium; add veggies and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- In another pan place oil, garlic, sesame seeds and chicken; saute until cooked through.
- Combine with tamari or coconut aminos and enjoy!
Wendy Frisby is a Hospice Nurse and a Fitlife.tv Certified Transformation Coach. She enjoys spending time helping to provide others the tools to upgrade their health and lifestyle in ways that are realistic and sustainable. Wendy is creative and loves building things for her home in addition to her devotion to her church.Wendy can be reached either at Email or Facebook.
Latest posts by Wendy Frisby (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS