Tips To Stay Healthy While Traveling During the Holidays
By Steve Fillmore
It’s that time of year again! We’re traveling to visit our families for the holidays, either by airplane, train or car. And typically during this time of year, a lot of us will postpone that healthy lifestyle until the New Year. Well, I am here to tell you that you still can be healthy and enjoy the holidays. They can absolutely go hand-in-hand.
Here are a few ways to stay healthy and fit while traveling to see family this season.
1. Go Nuts! As in healthy nuts. Nuts such as walnuts, almonds and cashews are great for your body and are easy to take with you when you travel. Get organic, unsalted, raw nuts are best.
2. Jerky me. Homemade jerky is a great way to get your protein while on the road. Be sure to get the organic or make your own.
3. Water. Be sure you drink at least half your bodyweight in ounces each day; more if you are especially active. Drinking water will also help curb your appetite so you don’t grab another cookie! If you happen to be traveling by air, opt to buy your water at the airport or bring a BPA-free container and fill up once you’ve gotten through security.
4. Get your juice. Nowadays, you can find healthy cold pressed juices in most major grocery stores, co-ops and even at airport vendors. Otherwise, you can pre-juice your veggies, freeze them and bring them on your road trip.
5. No workout equipment, no problem! You have your own body weight for doing some exercise. Do a few reps of squats and push-ups. Need to do more? Search for some workout videos on YouTube. Maybe get the whole family to do a workout after eating that huge meal! It’s more fun with friends anyway.
6. Gotta have alcohol? The temptations are there for the alcoholic beverages, which can mean a lot of empty – unnecessary – calories. Either commit to abstaining from drinking any alcohol, or limit yourself to half of what you would normally drink, opting for flat or sparkling water in between.
7. Break the bread. This one is a tough one for a lot of us. If you just gotta have bread, at least have bread that is both organic and gluten free. Better yet, skip the bread altogether and get more veggies and colorful fruits.
So as you can see, staying healthy and fit while traveling for the holidays is pretty easy. Just remember, it took you time, energy and effort to create your beautiful body. Do what you can to stay healthy and fit, no matter the season.
Steve Fillmore is a 2-time cancer THRIVER! His motto in life is: Love, Laugh, Live - Love yourself first; Laugh through all the crazy times; Live for life right now! Through proper diet, exercise and mindfulness, Steve has been able to recreate his body to work with and for him.
For fun, you can find Steve either teaching a Zumba class, or creating websites for clients.
Latest posts by Steve Fillmore (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS