These 2 Ingredients Can Remove Toxic Mold and Musty Odors from Your Washing Machine
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Every time I even try to think of another opening sentence to write for this article, all that comes to mind is “EWWW…” because all I can think about is that funky smell towels and clothes get when they sit in the washing machine for too long.
Have you ever had that happen?
And then every time you open your washing machine after that incident, you get a drift of pungent and foul air that wafts up and punches you in the nostrils.
EWWWW – right?
Let’s do something to fix this situation STAT.
What Makes Your Washing Machine STINKY?
The first sign to watch out for is if black stains start to form on your washing machine’s rubber rings or in the compartment where you put the detergent.
These black marks are a VERY harmful mold, which can be threatening to your health because it causes several diseases in humans such as:
- Respiratory problems
- Common allergic reaction symptoms
- Nervous-system disorders
Mold thrives in moist and warm areas. Hence, your washing machine is an ideal place for it to form.
How To Remove Dangerous Mold And Unpleasant Odors From Your Washing Machine
What You Need:
1. Liquid cleaning detergent with chlorine
2. 25 grams of salt of lemon or potassium hydrogen oxalate
3. A sponge
4. Rubber gloves
1. Wipe the inside of your washing machine with your sponge to remove any dirt.
2. Apply chlorinated detergent over the rubber ring – distribute evenly.
3. Close the washing machine door and let sit for at least 3 hours.
4. Set your washing machine on a ‘rinse’ cycle and pour some salt of lemon or potassium hydrogen oxalate in the detergent compartment and set your washing machine as high as it goes.
VOILA! Your washing machine will look shiny and new and smell fresh again!
- Do this every 2-3 weeks for optimal results.
- Leave your washing machine door open after each use so that the inside can properly dry between uses, which will deter mold from growing.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS