The Top Fall Recipe You Need: Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
Perhaps as a child you watched Cinderella and looked on in wonder as the pumpkin turned into a beautiful carriage… what a fairytale!
While I can’t do much to help you become a princess or find your prince charming, I AM about to help you make a food fairytale come true.
Who needs a carriage when you can turn a PUMPKIN into FRENCH FRIES instead?
Grab your fanciest apron, because you are about to have a ball making this recipe!
Benefits Of Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries
- Excellent source of fiber: helps your stay fuller longer
- Packed with vitamin C, which helps boost your immune system
- Full of the antioxidant beta-carotene
- Helps neutralize free radicals
- When your body has too many free radicals, it causes cell damage, which can accelerate the progression of cancer and other diseases
- Helps protect your skin from the sun’s wrinkle-causing UV rays (thanks to the beta-carotene!)
- Packed with protein
- Rich in calcium
- Full of vitamin A
- Helps with vision
- Promotes healthy skin, teeth and body tissue
- Rich in vital vitamins, including vitamin C, B12, K and A
- Keeps your immune system strong and helps flush out excess fluid from your body
Baked Parmesan Pumpkin Fries
- 1 small pie pumpkin
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 3 tbsp grated high quality Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- For a crispy fry, make sure to cut the pumpkin into THIN slices (fries). For maximum crispiness, keep the “fries” between ¼ inch to ½ inch in width.
- SOAK them in water to help remove starch (overnight is best, but 30 minutes before is also beneficial). Make sure to thoroughly DRY them before cooking.
- Dust the fries with cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) – helps absorb moisture.
- Place fries in a sealable bag and sprinkle in cornstarch (not too much or it will taste chalky). Shake them around to distribute cornstarch evenly.
- SPACE them out on a baking sheet – give them space so that air can circulate (and they are not touching).
1. Using a sharp knife, slice the pumpkin in half.
- Scoop out the seeds and pulp.
- Roast the seeds for a delicious snack.
2. Slice the two ends off of each half of pumpkin.
- Slice each half in half again.
- Using a sharp vegetable peeler, peel the pumpkin pieces.
- Cut the peeled pieces into ¼” fries.
3. Place the pumpkin fries in a large bowl and cover with cold water.
- Let the fries soak for at least 30 minutes (preferably overnight).
4. When fries are finished soaking, preheat the oven to 425°.
- Line two or more baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
5. Drain the fries and pat dry with paper towels.
6. Fill a large zip-top bag with the dried fries.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch.
- Close the bag and shake to cover the fries.
7. Place the fries in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and then toss to coat with your hands.
- Sprinkle on the paprika and garlic powder and toss again until well-coated.
- Spread fries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake in preheated oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Flip once halfway through.
- Cook until the fries are crisp and golden brown.
9. While the fries are baking, toss together the cheese, parsley and sea salt.
- As soon as the fries come out of the oven, sprinkle on the Parmesan mixture.
Looking for a “burger” to go with those fries? OF COURSE YOU ARE! Check out these healthy options:
But wait – before you chow down, don’t forget to whip up some delicious sauces:
Okay, okay, okay – NOW it’s time to EAT. Enjoy!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS