The Secret To Making Great Salad Jars
Written by: Kat Gal
Salad jars have been increasingly popular in the recent years. I am sure you’ve pinned or liked a few (or more) salad jar pics yourself (hello, food porn!). But how do you make the perfect salad jar without it going soggy or mushy?
Here are some awesome tips to help you make the perfect salad jar:
How do you get the greens to NOT get soggy?
If you pack your jar starting with the heaviest and most non-absorbent ingredients with the dressing at the bottom then work your way up to the lighter stuff, topping the jar with the greens, your salad won’t get soggy. Make sure not to tip your jar over though!
How do you best get everything mixed together?
When you are ready to eat, just open the lid and pour everything into a bowl. Shaking it in the bowl itself will help mix the dressing and the ingredients, but of course, you are welcome to toss with a fork as your heart desires.
What is the best jar you should use?
You can use any canning jar. Wide-mouth ones are the easiest to pack. Pint-sized jars are perfect for individual sized salad, but you are welcome to use bigger or smaller jars. You may want to use a quart-size or an even bigger one if sharing it with friends or family. Jar salads are perfect to take to picnics and potlucks.
How long will your jar salad stay fresh?
If tightly sealed, jar salads can last for several days – up to five – in your fridge. If you want to add soft foods or perishable proteins, such as avocados, tomatoes, meat or eggs, add them to the salad the day when you are about to eat it. Vacuum sealed salads keep fresh longer.
How do you make the perfect salad?
- Get your jar out.
- Start with the salad dressing. Pour 1-4 tbsp of your favorite dressing into your jar based on your personal preferences.
- Next add your harder veggies, including carrots, peppers, cooked beets and cucumber.
- Move on to your grains, pastas and beans. This is time to add any rice, quinoa, barley, pasta, beans, chickpeas or lentils as you desire.
- Next it’s time for your protein. This is completely optional, but if you wish, this is the place for cubed tofu and vegan cheese and, if you are not vegan, any organic cheese, fish or meat. If you are not eating your salad the same day, add these the day of consumption.
- Next, move on to softer veggies and fruits, such as avocados, tomatoes, diced strawberries, apples, or dried fruits. Again, if you are eating this another day, add them the day when you are planning to consume the salad.
- Next, add any nuts, such as almonds, walnuts, or cashews and seeds, such as hemp seeds, sunflower seeds, or sesame seeds.
- Finally it’s time for your greens. Top your jar with lots of greens, such as lettuce, kale, chard or collard greens.
- Once packed tightly, screw the lid on and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
- When you are ready to eat it, just unscrew the lid and shake it out into a bowl or plate. Toss well. Bon apetit.
You can get really creative and have so much fun with these salads. The options are endless. Don’t think you have to add every layer. You can skip your grains or pasta if you wish or leave the soft veggies out. It is all up to you.
Since these salads store well for up to 5 days in your fridge, they provide a perfect opportunity to make a healthy lunch for the ENTIRE week on Sundays.
They are not only healthy and delicious, but also look beautiful too, giving you the perfect picture opportunity to brag all over social media.
This is your time to brag. Make your jar salad today, share your photos and your exact recipe with us. We would love to see your creations.
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
-This post contains affiliate links.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS