The Power of Peppermint: 21 Health Benefits Revealed
By Lindsay Sibson
Life can be complicated enough… so I love it when I come across an idea or item that is a “no brainer.”
You have enough decisions to make on a day to day basis. Let me help you make an easy decision right NOW that can have a powerful impact on your health.
What Is PEPPERMINT?
- 1 of 25 different species of mint plant
- Natural hybrid cross between spearmint and watermint
- Has medicinal and therapeutic effects
- Contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties
Why Is PEPPERMINT Powerful? Here Are 21 Of Its Incredible Health Benefits To Entice You To Use This Magical Oil ASAP!
1. Headache: Relieves tension headache pain.
- Massage oil on your temples or put a few drops on a cloth and breathe in the aroma deeply.
2. Stress: Peppermint oil is energizing and cooling.
- Apply a few drops of oil directly to your body and to your bath for instant stress relief.
- Put the oil in a burner to create a relaxing aroma.
3. Muscle Pain: Relieves muscle spasms and pain.
- Massage essential oil into sore muscles or add to your bath water. Add a drop of coconut oil for better absorption.
4. Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Naturally and safely alleviates IBS symptoms (peppermint oil capsules).
5. Gastric Emptying Disorders: Peppermint is helpful in enhancing gastric emptying.
6. Gas And Spastic Colon: Relaxes your intestinal muscles, allowing gas to pass and relieving pain in your abdomen.
- For gas relief, add oil or leaves to hot tea.
7. Bad Breath And Dental Cavities: Powdered peppermint leaves whiten teeth and freshen breath. Peppermint oil is a powerful mouthwash that stops the formation of biofilm (linked to cavities).
8. Memory Problems: The smell of peppermint can enhance alertness and increase memory.
9. Prostate Cancer: The menthol in peppermint may discourage the growth of prostate cancer.
10. Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1: Peppermint has been shown to prevent and slow down this drug-resistant virus.
11. Hair And Skin: Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that can cool your skin and remove buildup on your scalp (dandruff and products).
- Blend peppermint oil with your shower products or massage directly onto scalp.
12. Asthma: Reduces inflammation-causing chemicals in people with asthma due to the presence of rosmarinic acid.
13. Respiratory Benefits: Peppermint oil can decongest and clear your respiratory tract.
- Rub the oil on your chest as a natural cold rub.
- Inhale through a vaporizer to relieve cold symptoms.
14. Radiation Damage: Protects against cell death and DNA damage caused by radiation.
15. Chemotherapy-Induced Nausea: A natural and cost effective method of reducing nausea.
16. Shingles-Associated Pain: Use topically to help immediately improve pain associated with shingles.
17. Tuberculosis: Inhaling peppermint oil can help reduce inflammation associated with tuberculosis. It can also help prevent recurrences and worsening of the disease.
18. Allergic Rhinitis (Hay Fever): Blocks histamine release, which can help reduce hay fever symptoms.
19. Breastfeeding-Associated Nipple Pain And Damage: Helps prevent pain and nipple cracks in breastfeeding mothers.
20. Indigestion And Upset Stomach: Helps ease uncomfortable symptoms.
- Drink a small glass of water with a few drops of peppermint oil.
21. Infantile Colic: As effective as simethicone in treating colic.
How To Use Peppermint
Picking quality peppermint is important. Follow these guidelines:
- Use fresh leaves that are green in color (avoid leaves with yellowing or dark spots)
- Use peppermint essential oil (peppermint extract in supplement form)
Along with the suggestions above, here are some ideas for how you can incorporate peppermint into your daily life:
1. Add fresh mint leaves to tea.
2. Throw a few leaves into your favorite soup or gazpacho.
3. Finely chop the leaves and add to fruit dishes.
4. Use the essential oil for:
- Muscle and chest rubs
- Headache pain
- Dental care
- Add to natural homemade cleaning supplies (antimicrobial and fragrant)
How do you use peppermint? Comment below to share your idea.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS