The Many Reasons You Should Sleep On Your Left Side
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
I am left-handed and PROUD.
Yes, I smudged the crap out of my writing while in elementary school – and writing on a chalkboard required extreme concentration. Let’s not even mention how awful scissors are for left-handed people.
However, we are known for being creative and intelligent.
Ya gotta take the good with the bad, I guess!
Therefore, I feel like it is my duty as a left-handed person to share some recent news I read about how doing a certain VERY IMPORTANT activity on your left side can positively influence your health and overall well being.
Here is why sleeping on your left side if the right thing to do for your health:
Benefits Of Sleeping On Your Left Side
|Helps Improve Digestion
- Due to gravity, sleeping on your left side is preferable for digestion
- Allows waste to move easily from the large intestine into the descending colon
- Permits your stomach and pancreas to hang naturally
- Your stomach is on the left side of your body
- Keeps the development of pancreatic enzymes working
- Your digestive processes will not be disrupted
|Relieves Back Pain
- Relieves pressure on your spine
- Helps your feel more comfortable
- If you suffer from chronic back pain, switch to left-side sleeping
|Best Position For Pregnant Women
- Improves circulation
- Helps relieve pressure on your back
- Keeps the uterus from squeezing the liver
- Increases blood flow to the uterus, fetus and kidneys
|Great For Heart Health
- Takes pressure off your heart
- Helps improve circulation to the heart
- Facilitates lymph drainage toward the heart
- As well as aortic circulation away from the heart
|Strengthens The Lymphatic System
- Allows your body to better filter lymph fluid and waste through your lymph nodes
- The left side of your body is the dominant lymphatic side
- Helps your body process waste materials from the brain
- Sleeping on your RIGHT side can decrease the efficiency of your lymphatic system
- Helps reduce acid reflux symptoms
- Because the stomach lies on the left side of your body
- Sleeping on the right side may aggravate heartburn symptoms
- Lying on your left side can offer immediate relief if you feel heartburn after a meal
- Lay down for 10 minutes on your left side
Left-side sleeping is a simple and immediate way to encourage not only a better night’s sleep, but also better overall health!
Have YOU tried left-side sleeping? What were the results? SHARE with us in the comments below!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS