20 Things Nobody Said An Onion Could Do
Written by: Janet Early
Onions are insanely impressive.
Their abilities to help and prevent illness have been hailed since ancient times. Unfortunately, these natural medicines often get neglected today because of their smell and aftertaste.
BUT – the onion is such a powerful food that its benefits and uses are worth the pungent taste!
The onion is a member of the allium family, along with garlic and chives. Due to a high sulfur content, onions are naturally antibiotic, antifungal and antiseptic. They offer the best instant help for vomiting and can be consumed regularly as a general antibiotic that can help protect your immune system.
The Health Benefits Of Onions:
- Fight free radicals
- Are natural expectorants, therefore able to Improve respiratory problems such as bronchitis and other infections
- Lower high cholesterol
- Boost heart health
- Relieve arthritis pain
- Lower plasma glucose concentrations and supply chromium, which helps control blood glucose levels and fight diabetes
- Powerful antioxidants that help empower the immune system
- Break up coughs and congestion
- Stabilize blood sugar levels
- Promote bone health
- Protect against inflammation
- Proven to help prevent cancer
- Guard you against the development of neurodegenerative disorders
- Improve asthmatic symptoms
- Block histamines from aggravating your immune system
- Aid weight loss
- Have a tendency to increase testosterone levels and sperm concentration, therefore aiding in fertility
- Disinfect wounds and promote quick recovery
- Relieve earaches
Now that we’re convinced that onions are the real deal, here are ways to get more onions in your life, with methods stretching back centuries.
7 Easy Ways To Use Onions
#1. Fight Chest Congestion: Create a paste by crushing an onion on top of 1-2 tbsps of coconut oil. Layer your chest with this paste and then drape a towel over it or put on a shirt.
#2. Help Wound Recovery: Press the transparent film (outer layer) of the onion against the cut and bleeding should reduce or stop immediately. The onion can simultaneously protect the wound from infections.
#3. Reduce A Fever: Cut an onion into thin slices. Apply coconut oil to the bottom of your feet and then place a thin slice of onion onto the arch of each foot. Wrap with plastic wrap or another adhesive to keep it all in place. Wear socks overnight. Onions are believed to pull out illness-causing toxins from the body.
#4. Stop Coughs: Take a large onion, peel it and slice it in two. Next, coat each face of the onion with 1 tbsp of brown sugar. Cover the onion halves for one hour. Eat twice a day to end the cough.
#5. Ease Ear Pain Or Ear Infection: Cut up the onion and put the pieces inside a thin sock. Then, tie the sock closed and place it over the painful ear. Wear a hat to keep the sock in place.
#6. Help With Colic: Dice a small amount of yellow onions. Then, boil them to create an onion tea. Once it cools slightly, give a tsp of the recipe to the afflicted child every hour until the condition improves.
#7. Stop Vomiting Immediately: Grate one onion and extract the juice. Meanwhile, brew a cup of peppermint tea and then let it cool. Drink 2 tsp of the onion juice. Wait 5 minutes and then drink the same amount of the cool peppermint tea. Wait another 5 minutes and repeat these steps until the vomiting stops. Vomiting should stop right away and nausea should go away within 15 minutes.
More Proof That Onions Are The Best:
- Gladiators consumed lots of onions because they were thought to “lighten the balance of the blood” before a duel. They also rubbed onion juice all over their bodies to “firm up the muscles.” These guys were about to fight for their lives and their weapon of choice: onions. Pretty impressive.
- Egyptians used to bury pharaohs with onions inside the tombs, as it was believed that the pungent root would breathe new life into the dead as they journeyed to the afterlife. The vegetable was revered so much in ancient Egyptian culture that it was frequently depicted in tomb wall art, carvings and altars to the gods.
- Russian World War II soldiers applied onions directly to wounds to help disinfect them and treat infections.
Need I emphasize it any further? Onions are the bees knees and promote health and goodness all throughout your body. Remedying methods revolving around these vegetables have existed for centuries across cultures. As far as natural remedies go, these affordable veggies are as good as it gets.
Know of any other treatment methods using onions? Or have you experienced health relief because of them? Please share with us in the comments below!
Healing Through Natural Foods by Dr. H.K. Bakhru
Janet Early is a health enthusiast living in Los Angeles and working as a researcher for a major television company. An aspiring writer, Janet discovered her passion for wholesome nutrition and natural healing while navigating the struggles of balancing food sensitivities in a modern world. In addition to nutrition, she enjoys traveling, storytelling and embarking on daily adventures.
Latest posts by Janet Early (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS