The Dangers Of Juice Concentrate (And What To Drink Instead)
Written by: Lindsay Sibson
It’s a long standing part of the “American Breakfast…”
And has also been revered for its health benefits.
BUT – don’t be fooled by that glowing glass of orange juice!
Unless you are getting FRESH squeezed juice (made with real oranges), you are most likely being served up a slimy cup of orange juice concentrate – gross.
The Dangers Of Juice Concentrate
Let’s just get to the point and call juice concentrate out for what it truly is – a powerful health DESTROYER!
What makes it so dangerous?
It is a fruit by-product that has been stripped of its fiber and nutrients and has an overwhelming amount of FRUCTOSE:
|What Is Fructose?
- Comes from fruit and is what makes fruit sweet
- Unlike glucose (table sugar), fructose goes straight to your liver
- Promptly converted to stored fat (particularly belly fat!)
- Highly dangerous to your internal organs
- Fructose doesn’t raise leptin (the hormone that signals a “full” feeling)
- Doesn’t tell your body when you are full, which makes it easy to OVEREAT fructose
- Can lead to insulin resistance
- Insulin is necessary to lower the impact of sugar in your blood
- Goes through a process in your body called glycation, which leads to advanced aging
When you consume too much fructose, it sends your body into a downward spiral into inflammation and disease.
We’re not talking a headache or little pain… TOO much sugar (fructose) leads to cancer, heart disease, arthritis, diabetes, obesity and MORE.
But… wait a minute, isn’t fruit HEALTHY?
Yes, yes it is – but only when it is whole and fresh, because the fiber in fresh fruit offsets the negative impact of fructose:
- Fiber slows down the digestion of fructose
- Fiber is only found in the WHOLE fresh fruit
- Whole fruit also contains a plethora of vitamins, phytonutrients, minerals and antioxidants
Now, it’s still not health-wise to snack on an abundance of fresh fruit, because you can still overload your body with fructose – stick to about 1 cup of fresh fruit per day and use this guideline:
Juice concentrate = concentrated fructose
When choosing WHOLE fresh fruit:
|Choose Fruits LOWER in Fructose
- Blackberries (most berries in general)
|Avoid Fruits HIGHER in Fructose
What To Drink Instead
There is “juice.”
And then there is JUICE juice – which is juice that is freshly made with high quality veggies and fruits.
Here is how you can get your hands on some:
- Head to your local juice bar to pick up a delicious GREEN juice blend (make sure it’s primarily vegetable based – check the juice menu!)
- Make yourself a tall glass of Organifi Green Juice
- Visit a juice website and place an order for home delivery
Now go on and have yourself a juicy day, Fitlifer!
No juicer? No problem! Organifi Green Juice is a carefully selected blend of 11 different superfoods including turmeric, spirulina, lemon, mint, moringa and more. It was formulated for busy women and men who are looking for a way to super boost their health and support their lifestyle without spending a lot of time or money in the kitchen. Try it today!
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS