The Consciousness Movement: Are YOU a Part of It?
Written by: Bruce Anderson
In case you missed it, the new consciousness movement is all around us. The practice of mindful living has come to the forefront of our society as a way to be happier and healthier.
So what is mindfulness, anyway?
Well, there are many definitions out there, so I’ll take a stab at a general definition and let you take it from there…
Mindfulness is paying attention to the present moment with intention, while letting go of judgement as if your life depended on it. Because it does!
If you’re curious about how mindfulness might benefit your life, but you don’t have any idea on how to get started, take a look at it in terms of your health. Science has confirmed that living more in the present instead of reflecting on the past and worrying about the future can provide benefits to physical and mental health.
The Benefits of Cultivating Mindfulness Daily
1. Stress Reduction – Did you know that stress is responsible for over 70% of health issues today? Research shows that stress is lowered when you practice mindfulness and living in the present. Practices like meditation and yoga can help reduce stress in your life.
2. Improves Sleep – As you reduce stress in your life and start living in the present moment, your body and mind become more relaxed. This promotes healthy sleep patterns, which allow you to get the sleep you need to function more effectively.
3. Lowers the Risk of Disease – By living more in the present, relaxing more and reducing stress, the risk of chronic disease also decreases. Mindfulness helps lower blood pressure and cholesterol, which reduces the chance of heart disease. It helps to reduce inflammation, which can ease conditions like arthritis and inflammation of the brain. It can also aid in weight loss as your body moves towards a healthier state.
4. It Protects the Brain – By practicing mindfulness techniques like meditation, you can actually change your brain to protect against diseases like dementia, Alzheimer’s and other mental illnesses.
5. Helps You Control Your Emotions – When you’re in a mindful state, it helps you recognize and observe your own thought patterns. When you do this, you allow yourself to let go of negative emotions like anger and anxiety and focus on positive emotions, which allows more happiness into your life.
These health benefits are only the tip of the iceberg. The connection between mindfulness and improved health and well-being is infinite. Often, we tend to focus on the physical aspects of our health without bringing the mind into the equation. And the truth is, it’s critical that we recognize the mind and body connection and how they interact to bring about optimal health.
So what are you waiting for? Is mindfulness practice the key to your health and happiness? I have techniques for mindfulness and other healthy resources for you to experiment with here.
If improved health and wellness is your goal, contact me for your “Empower Your Health Strategy Session” today!
Bruce Anderson is a Holistic Health Coach. His passion is helping men and women rediscover the healthy aging process so they can look good and feel younger.
Bruce specializes in weight loss, management of cholesterol and inflammation as well as mindful-based stress-reduction. Bruce uses a holistic approach and believes that in order to truly transform your health and wellness, you need to treat both the mind and the body.
Latest posts by Bruce Anderson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS