The Cleansing Benefits Of Bentonite Clay
By Kavata Kithome
I first came across bentonite clay when I was looking for a healthy, natural way to deep cleanse my hair. I had always known that clay was used as body art, for facials in spas as beauty treatment and even eaten in parts of Africa, though I never truly realized how effective it was – until now!
Along with outward care, bentonite clay is also often used to promote internal cleansing and is a popular ingredient for detoxification programs.
And for good reason!
This clay is a great remedy for ailments like irritable bowel syndrome and along with its cleansing properties, it can be a great asset for your immune system.
Here Are 4 Benefits Of Bentonite Clay
1. Bentonite Clay Helps Support The Immune System
Studies have shown that bentonite clay can strengthen the immune system. By suppressing toxins and protecting against them, it can increase the effectiveness of the immune system and lower risk of illness and disease.
2. Bentonite Clay Cleanses The Body Of Toxic Metals
The most harmful metals for your body are mercury, cadmium, lead and benzene. These toxic metals are normally found in processed food, especially those with high fructose corn syrup and – even scarier – are also found in drinking water and the environment. Bentonite clay can help rid these metals from your body.
3. Bentonite Clay Fights Environmental Toxins
Every day, you breathe in health-damaging chemicals from cleaning products, paint, office equipment, permanent markers, pesticides and building materials. Bentonite clay has been found absorb these toxins and reduce them in the body.
4. Bentonite Clay Combats Dietary Toxins
There are toxic substances found in foods like peanut butter and some cooking oils that interfere with the immune system. These substances can lead to liver damage and even liver cancer. Bentonite clay can help the body fight against the harm and damage done by these toxins.
Why Is Bentonite Clay Effective?
The molecules in bentonite clay are negatively charged; this enhances its absorbent properties. If you remember from your science class, when a positively charged molecule contacts a negatively charged molecule, they attract one another as they exchange ions and bond together.
So, when bentonite clay is ingested orally, it is able to pass through the intestinal tract, attracting positively charged toxins along the way. The toxins are bonded with the clay and your body is able to then expel both the clay and the toxins through normal bowel movements.
How Can You Use It?
There are several ways to use bentonite clay. Always remember NOT to EVER use metal to mix your clay as it deactivates its properties.
Here are 3 of the most popular methods:
- Facial Mask: Mix 1 tablespoon of bentonite clay with 1 tablespoon of water or apple cider vinegar (a favorite at Fitlife) and apply it as you would any facial mask. Allow it to harden then rinse with warm water. Apply coconut oil afterwards to soothe and nourish your skin. Note: your skin may be red afterwards but this is very temporary and dissipates quickly.
- Internal Cleansing: Mix ½ to 1 teaspoon of clay in water and consume. Overtime, you can slowly increase to 2-3 teaspoons (note: be sure to consult your doctor before consistent internal use as it’s typically not recommended and can lead to constipation – be sure to drink plenty of water).
- Detoxifying Bath: Mix ¼ cup of clay and ¼ cup of baking soda in your bath water. I like to add a few drops of lavender and eucalyptus oil to my bath as well (note: be sure to rehydrate after your bath – I found drinking coconut water with lemon, or just plain warm water after my bath really did the trick).
Have you tried bentonite clay? What was your experience? Please share with us in the comments below!
Kavata Kithome is an advocate for living your best life, full of health and longevity. While working closely with gym owners and personal trainers, she was able to sculpt a well-rounded view of fitness and understands how to incorporate it with a healthy balanced diet. She is a regular contributor to the One More Step Lifestyle brand.
Latest posts by Kavata Kithome (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS