The Benefits Of Diffusing Essential Oils
By Brandi Monasco
I started using essential oils when I could find no other way to help my sinus symptoms. Prescription after prescription, doctor after doctor, there was no relief and no end in sight.
That is, until I found out about essential oils.
Since then, I’ve started using them practically every day and have had little to no symptoms. When I do have symptoms, I pull out my box of oils and diffuser, mix my concoction, plug in the diffuser and off I go! Within 30 minutes to an hour, I’m feeling back to normal.
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oil is the liquid that is distilled from the leaves, roots, stems and flowers of plants. It is the fragrant, concentrated, natural essence from the plant itself.
Essential oils have been used for thousands of years for cosmetic purposes, but it has been found that the oils have a type of medicinal power as well. They have proven to even have a positive impact on psychological health.
Benefits Of Diffusing Essential Oils
Diffusers disperse essential oils into fine mists throughout the air. The mist is absorbed into the body through the respiratory system.
Simplers Botanicals states that, “The aroma can prompt the nervous system to transmit signals to the limbic system in the brain – the same part of the brain that houses emotion and memory.”
Your brain responds through different functions, such as the release of endorphins, which are natural pain and stress fighting chemicals.
Using a diffuser is the easiest way to disperse oils and also the most lasting. A diffuser can fill a room with therapeutic aromas rather quickly. Oils are believed to improve mood, improve immunity, ease the symptoms of a cold and even freshen the air.
Now on to the benefits of diffusing essential oils and which oils are great to use:
- Distress And Relaxation/Deeper Sleep – Lavender, clary sage, lemongrass, orange, patchouli, ylang-ylang, sandalwood.
- Mood Uplifting – Petitgrain, rose, lemon, peppermint, lavender, rosemary, cinnamon.
- Improve Concentration And Focus – Peppermint, lemon, cypress, frankincense.
- Improve Immunity – Lemon, thieves blend, peppermint, lime, frankincense, oregano.
- Relieve Headache – Lavender, peppermint, eucalyptus, frankincense.
- Reduce Congestion – Peppermint, eucalyptus, lemon, rosemary.
- Freshen The Air/Eliminate Germs And Bacteria – Lemon, eucalyptus, peppermint, melaleuca.
Remember: This is just a few of the benefits and uses of diffusing essential oils. There are tons more that you can read about here!
Don’t have a diffuser? That’s okay! You can still reap the benefits of essential oils without one. There are two other ways that you can get “diffusion” without a diffuser:
- Apply 1 or 2 drops of oil to your hand, rub your hands together and then cup them over your nose and mouth and breathe in deeply a few times.
- Take a few deep breaths with your nose directly above the opened essential oil bottle.
Have you already started using essential oils? Do you have a favorite oil that you love to use? Feel free to share with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS