Tame Frizzy Hair With These Common Kitchen Ingredients
Written by: Brandi Monasco
Living in Texas, we deal with humidity pretty much on a daily basis. When it is hot and humid at the same time, it’s the worst on your hair. You take the time to make your hair look good; it’s pretty and straight and just looking great, but then you step outside and BAM! The humidity undoes your hard work and you look like you just stuck your finger in a light socket.
On the days there is no humidity, or even if you don’t live in Texas or a humid area, sometimes your hair can still frizz. And that is because the major cause of frizzy hair is due to the lack of moisture. This can be caused by, yes, humidity, but also the constant and frequent use of hair dryers, straighteners and even chemicals in certain hair products and hair dyes.
Even if you have to deal with frizzy hair on hot, humid days, there are a few things that you can use from your kitchen to help combat frizziness and make your hair look great.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar. The acid found in apple cider vinegar helps to smooth out frizz and give your hair new life.
- Mix equal parts of water with apple cider vinegar to reduce the acid in the apple cider vinegar. Use this mixture as a final rinse after shampooing your hair. Use this mixture every two to four weeks.
2. Carbonated Water. Carbonated water such as sparkling water or club soda can help with your frizziness. Carbonated water has low pH levels that help fight frizziness that can be caused by humidity.
- Just rinse your hair with carbonated water after you shampoo your hair. While it will tame the frizz and help make your hair smooth, it will take some time for this to work.
3. Avocado. Avocados are high in vitamin E, which can help tame the frizz of your hair. The healthy fats in avocado also provide an amazing hydrating benefit to your hair.
- Mash one ripe avocado and mix it with a little bit of olive oil. Shampoo your hair and apply the mixture throughout your hair. Let the mixture sit in your hair for 30 minutes to an hour and then rinse it out with cold water. If you do not prefer the avocado smell, simply condition your hair to remove the scent.
4. Beer. Beer helps restore minerals, nutrients and vitamins to your hair, leaving it feel moisturized. The best type of beers to help your hair are the darker beers.
- Coat your hair with beer and allow it to sit on your hair for a few minutes. Rinse it out with cold water. Do this once every two weeks.
What tips do you have for taming frizzy hair? Have you tried any of these methods before? Share your thoughts and tips with us in the comments below!
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS