Sunscreen Recipe To Safely Protect Your Skin
Sunscreen Recipe To Safely Protect Your Skin
Written by: Brandi Monasco
It’s officially summer and we know that means: the beach, the lake, cookouts and so many more fun activities that we can do outside in the beautiful sunshine.
But when it comes to being out in the sun, it’s important that you protect your skin. You want to make sure that you don’t end up with a painful sunburn or something even worse. Being out in the sun too much without proper skin protection can lead to more complications such as skin cancer in the long run.
That’s where sunscreen comes into play.
Why Sunscreen Is So Effective
Sunscreen is very effective at protecting your skin from the harsh UV rays of the sun. However, sunscreen should not just be regulated for summer use alone – its wonderful properties can be used all year round. This is because the UV rays are always present, whether during cold or hot days.
Sunscreen contains elements like zinc oxide and titanium oxide, which are necessary for blocking the effects of the sun. Sunscreens have Sun Protection Factor (SPF), which is water resistant and also has a broad protection spectrum, meaning it is able to deflect UVA as well as UVB rays.
The main reason to use sunscreen at all is to protect your skin from the harsh UVB rays. Our body requires a healthy dose of vitamin D and this can be received from sunlight. However, pollution from the earth has negatively affected the ozone layer which protects us from the harmful rays of direct sunlight; this is bad for our skin as well as our health. Sunscreen helps to block most of the sunlight’s damaging effects.
Sunscreen helps in reducing the risk of skin cancer. Yes! Regularly applying sunscreen on your skin can protect it from skin cancer, such as Melanoma, a dangerous skin disease that could be fatal as it spreads to other organs in the body if not treated on time.
Using sunscreen also helps prevent fine lines and wrinkles, which are associated with premature aging. Since some of the harmful sun rays can cause premature aging, you can use sunscreen to help reduce this problem, blocking out the harsh sun from harming your skin.
However, (yes, there is a however), store bought sunscreens often contain toxins that are harmful to your skin and your body. One of these harmful ingredients in store bought sunscreens is oxybenzone, which disrupts your hormones!
So how do you avoid these harmful chemicals? With a homemade sunscreen, of course!
Zinc Oxide Recommendations
DIY Homemade Sunscreen
- 1 oz coconut oil
- 0.8 oz shea butter
- 0.1 oz jojoba, sesame, or sunflower oil
- 0.1 oz vitamin E oil
- 30 drops of your favorite essential oil (this is optional)
- Zinc oxide powder (if you have 2 ounces of lotion and want to make SPF 10 sunscreen, you will need to use 0.2 ounces of zinc oxide; see recommendations below recipe)
- Add coconut oil, shea butter, a jojoba oil (or whichever oil you choose to use) to a double boiler that contains a few inches of water.
- Heat the ingredients until it is melted.
- Removed from the double boiler and allow to cool a little.
- Put a mask over your nose and mouth to avoid breathing in the fine particles of the zinc oxide powder.
- Measure out your zinc oxide powder.
- Add the zinc oxide powder, vitamin E oil and your favorite essential oils to the other ingredients.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Store in a dark colored jar in the refrigerator.
- 2-5 SPF: Use 5% zinc oxide
- 6-11 SPF: Use 10% zinc oxide
- 12-19 SPF: Use 15% zinc oxide
- >20 SPF: Use 20% zinc oxide
To use the homemade sunscreen, simply apply liberally to any exposed skin and reapply every few hours or more often if you are sweating or swimming.
And there you have it! A homemade sunscreen without the harsh chemicals of the store bought sunscreens!
Increase Fat Loss & STOP Aging Skin With A Delicious Mix Of 11 Revitalizing Ingredients: Finally All Together In One Delicious Red Glass! It’s never been done! We picked the best organic superfoods for a RAPID metabolism. Then we sourced all the antioxidants for stronger, firmer skin. (Everything’s Organic!) Finally, we squeezed them all into one delicious red superfood punch! Try Organifi Red Juice today!
If you’re looking to speak directly with a member of our team regarding your health concerns and how we can help, give us a call: 619-404-3133. We love hearing from you!
Source, Source, Source, Source
Brandi Monasco is a freelance writer, graphic designer and social media manager from Texas. She graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Communication Arts and has recently found a new love for health and nutrition.
Latest posts by Brandi Monasco (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS