Soothe Your Dry, Chapped Skin With This Oatmeal Bath
By Kirsten Cowart
When I think of oatmeal, I think of a heart-healthy breakfast. But once I started to learn more about the oat plant, I realized that heart-health was just the beginning.
Soothing Effect Of Oats
The milky tops of the oat plant have an incredible ability to soothe the mind and body. The oat can reduce fatigue, calm the nervous system, relieve stress and soothe irritation. The oat plants as a whole contain calcium, B vitamins, silica and protein, which help to strengthen bones, muscles and balance the nervous system.
FUN FACT: Oats were traditionally consumed by pregnant women and during menopause to help to strengthen and heal bones.
A bowl of warm oatmeal porridge may be a good solid meal for people healing from chemotherapy when they can’t seem to keep anything else down. The oats soothe the system and aid in anti-inflammatory activities within the body.
On The Skin
Oatmeal baths are great for a wide variety of skin conditions including dry, chapped or irritated skin, sunburns and eczema.
Oatmeal baths are a time-honored solution for chapped, dry skin. They can be very soothing and relaxing for babies as well and especially so for the elderly.
Preparation of your soothing bath:
- First off, you will want to make a large pot of runny oatmeal or “oatmeal tea” utilizing four to six times more water than the amount of oats.
- Then, cook for 15 minutes and strain, reserving both the liquid and the oats.
- Now fill up your bathtub with warm water and then add your cooking liquid directly to the bathtub.
- Scoop your cooked oats into a muslin bag, stocking, or large cotton shirt or cloth and secure tightly.
- For even more added benefits, add a drop or two of lavender essential oil to your bath to help enhance the relaxing effects.
How to reap the benefits:
- Now you’re ready for your relaxing and soothing bath, so hop in and enjoy!
- Don’t forget to use your parcel of used cooked oats as a gentle scrub to massage all over your skin.
Oatmeal baths have been passed down for many generations and work especially well on soothing both the old and the young…
In the comments below, we would love to hear how beneficial your oatmeal baths have been in your life! If you haven’t tried this natural bathing method yet, give it a shot and let me know what you think!
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Kirsten Cowart is a writer and researcher that has worked in the spiritual, mental health and medical fields.Kirsten enjoys studying and experiencing the benefits of yoga, meditation, nutrition, herbalism, organic gardening and alternative health.She worked hard in 2014 losing over 40 lbs. and has since maintained a healthy lifestyle.Follow her to learn more about her journey on Twitter, Facebook & Youtube!
Latest posts by Kirsten Campbell (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS