Shredded Coconut Can Be Used To Make Easy, Healthy Milk
By Lindsay Sibson
I get really excited about bargains – especially healthy bargains!
When I recently found a bag of organic, unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes at my local Trader Joe’s for $1.99… I snagged that bargain in a heartbeat.
I have a well-documented, ongoing love affair with coconut oil, which I wrote about HERE, here, HERE, here , HERE and here.
However, this was my first adventure into the world of shredded coconut – what the heck do I do with it?
I first started using it as an on-the-go snack… and let me tell ya, it makes a huge mess as a snack in the car – white flakes everywhere! Therefore, it was time to figure out what to do with the rest of the bag, and guess what?
You can turn those shredded coconut flakes into coconut milk!
Let’s first take a look at WHY coconut milk ROCKS and then how you can make your own today:
Benefits Of Coconut Milk
- Coconut milk is packed with nutrients such as magnesium and potassium:
- Muscles use these to repair broken down tissue and to grow back stronger
- Coconut milk does not need to be fully digested first before your body can use it
- Great source of energy for your brain
- Excellent source of plant-based iron
- A great supplement for your diet
- High in healthy fats:
- Lauric acid is useful in helping your body create energy
Note: The coconut crumbles left behind in the nut milk bag can be dehydrated and used as coconut flour! Once dry, transfer the coconut flour to a sealed glass jar for future cooking use.
Coconut Milk Using Shredded Coconut
- 4 cups water (filtered)
- 2 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- Place coconut and water into a high powered blender.
- Blend on high for 1-2 minutes
- Strain mixture using a nut milk bag.
- Alternate: use a new seamless nylon sock
Use this delicious homemade coconut milk in your smoothies, cereal, or as a refreshing and nutritious drink!
What will you use it for? SHARE with us in the comments below!
For a quick, easy and powerful concoction that can help you reach your health goals, PLEASE check out our Organifi Green Juice.
Lindsay Sibson turned her lifelong dream of traveling the world into a reality when she first stepped on a plan in April of 2014. With the simple intention of learning more about this beautiful world, she stepped away from corporate America to explore an alternative lifestyle of long term international travel, volunteering, blogging and pursuing a blissfully happy and fulfilling way of life.
Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life. Connect with her on her website and follow her travels on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/_traveloholic_).
Through her blog, Lindsay documents her journey in hopes of empowering others to find their passion, reignite their spark and freshen their outlook on life.
Latest posts by Lindsay Sibson (see all)
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS