Why September Is The Best Month To Create “New Year’s” Resolutions
September – New Season, New Start
Written by: Kat Gal
How are those New Year’s Resolutions doing?
New Year’s whaaaat?
That’s what I thought… You’ve either long forgotten about those resolutions or you have actually kept them and your new habits are second nature by now. Either way it is time for a fresh start again (for real).
There is something about fresh starts. They bring creative energy, excitement, inspiration, motivation and joy. You don’t have to begin something brand new either – you can simply refocus a bit, build on what you have and make life even better.
Fresh starts can happen at any time: January 1st, Mondays and the 1st of each month seem to be popular. But basically any random time or day, like a Thursday afternoon can do it. Personally, I find September to be particularly awesome and the best time for a fresh start.
Here is WHY:
#1. September Is A Much Better Time Than January When It Comes To Your Well-Being
If you live in the North and you think of January, the words cold, grey, wet, dark, snowy, rainy, icy and windy likely come to your mind. Let’s face it, this probably didn’t spark your motivation. January is great for hibernation, reflections, journaling and hot chocolate, but may be less inspiring for change.
September, however, is still fairly warm and light outside. The changing autumn leaves and the smell of the fall air can bring creative energy. As nature sheds it’s unnecessary layers through fallen dry leaves, it is a perfect time for you as well to get rid of what’s not serving you and invite in something new instead.
#2. September Is The Start Of A New Season
Many believer that fall is the most beautiful season. Even if you are a summer girl, like me, you have to admit that there is some magic in the changing colors and the light fall breeze. As the year is inviting in a new season, it is a fantastic time for you to bring in something new and start the season fresh yourself.
#3. September Is After The Summer Holidays
January is all about resolutions most people never follow through with, the spring is all about working for that bikini body and the summer is about enjoying the sun, breaking away from our regular habits and perhaps enjoying a few more ice cream cones, sweet drinks, or cakes than usual. With September, we tend to go back to our regular schedules and normal habits. This is a great excuse to pick up a glass of green juice, re-join the gym, or begin meditating (again).
#4. September Is The Beginning Of The School Year
If you are in school yourself, this is an exciting time: new classes, new professors, new friends, new internships and so on. Why not bring in a new habit as well? Fresh school year: fresh start. If you have kids, school time also means a little bit more time for you to focus on you again. If you are not in school and not a parent either, just remember your childhood when September meant the beginning of the year instead of January. Make this an excuse for a fresh start.
How To Start Fresh And Stick To Your Goals
It is not enough to understand that September is the perfect time for a fresh start, you need to have a plan and stick to it. Here is how:
1. Set Your Intentions, Then Set Your Goals. Get very specific. Make sure your goals are realistic and achievable. Don’t make too many goals, 3 is plenty.
2. Know Your ‘Why.’ Knowing the reason why you want to create a certain change in your life or achieve a specific goal is very important. Write down your ‘why’ as a reminder for the times you feel unmotivated or stuck.
3. Plan. Make monthly, weekly and daily plans. Making plans will give you a guidepost. For example, if you are ready to change your diet, it helps to schedule your grocery shopping and cooking, planning your meals and organizing your snacks ahead. Planning will also help you to create a routine.
4. Let Go Of Perfection. Forget about the perfect outcome. It’s okay if you stumble, just get up and keep going. Enjoy the process and focus on progress instead of perfection.
5. Find A Support System. Find an accountability body, get your family on board or join a supportive community. If you are ready to change your diet and lifestyle, joining the FitLife community is an excellent idea. Either way. You don’t have to do it alone. There are plenty of others out there thriving for similar goals – believe me. Together we can achieve more, so don’t be afraid to seek support.
Are you ready for a fresh start in September?
Share your intentions and goals below. Let us know, how we can support you. As always, we would love to hear from and support your journey.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS