Rescue Dog Helps Couple Lose 80 Pounds
Rescue Dog Helps Couple Lose 80 Pounds
Written by: Kat Gal
Dogs can save your life in unexpected ways.
This touching story is remarkable about how a dog that was saved by a loving couple saved the couple’s health.
Anne and Vic Tenaglia shared their beautiful story during the Petco Foundation’s Holiday Wishes Campaign, winning $5,000 for an animal shelter and inspiring millions with what they had to say.
When the couple decided to foster Jingle, a pit bull terrier, the dog struggled with serious anxiety as a result of his life of violence in a fighting ring and the overwhelm of the animal shelter. Anne and Vic knew that they needed to find a way to soothe Jingle’s mind and to heal his spirit. To deal with Jingle’s energy, they began walking him 5 to 6 times a day.
They realized that taking frequent, long walks helped tremendously and transformed Jingle’s personality quickly. The once underweight dog covered with wounds and dealing with distress turned into a healthy, happy and loving family member.
The 3-mile treks with Jingle have not only changed Jingle’s life for the better, but also came with a fantastic ‘side-effect’ for the couple.
The Tenaglias’ have lost 80 pounds combined (Anne 20 and Vic 60 pounds), thanks to all the exercises.
Their muscles become stronger, their health improved and they were able to reduce their pain medications. Anne’s heart health has particularly impressed her doctors: her formerly high blood pressure dropped and her irregular heartbeats and atrial fibrillation have improved. Since fostering Jingle, she successfully avoided hospital admissions and her EKGs have been great. The couple has become more active playing with their grandchildren and even walking 5K races.
In a way, Jingle has saved their lives.
Jingle is happy to say that after a period of fostering, the couple has permanently welcomed him into their family. They will continue to make improvements in each others’ lives for many years to come.
What a tear-jerking story. Do you need a tissue? I bet you do.
Animals can truly change our lives and our health.
The love they provide creates a connection, fills your heart and changes your mind, body and soul. As the story of Jingle proves, aside from loving connections, playing and walking with your furry friend can get you active without much effort, helping your weight loss goals and improving your health.
What if you don’t have a dog?
Having a pet is a big responsibility. It doesn’t fit into everyone’s life and it may not be the right time for you to foster or adopt a puppy or another animal.
Don’t worry, my friend, there are other ways you can connect with animals and enjoy the beautiful benefits.
- Become a dog walker. You can do this once in a while or make it into a permanent gig.
- Visit friends who have dogs. Offer to walk their pups or join them for their evening strolls.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
Of course, you don’t need a dog to add more activity to your life either.
- Take a walk in a nearby park.
- Walk to the store, to school, or to work if possible.
- Park your car a few block away to get a short walk in each time.
- Stand up and stretch often. Use a standing desk if you can.
- Go for an evening walk with your family after dinner.
- Join or organize a walking group.
- Try other activities, like swimming, running, yoga, pilates, weight lifting, group classes, exercises videos and whatever interests you. Mix it up.
Exercise is great, but pay attention to your diet too.
Remember, you cannot out-exercise a bad diet – not in the long-run at least.
Eat lots of organic whole foods: greens, vegetables, fruits, sprouts, nuts, seeds, legumes, beans and whole grains. Drink plenty of water. Avoid processed sugars, processed food, artificial ingredients, additives, sugary drinks, alcohol and tobacco.
Organifi drinks can enhance your weight loss goals and improve your health:
- Organifi Red can ignite your metabolism, revitalize your skin, create mental clarity and fill you with antioxidants.
- Organifi Complete Protein can satisfy your taste buds, boost your digestion and aid your weight loss goals.
- Cacao Bliss can boost your mood, reduce your cravings, fill your body with antioxidants, and help your weight loss goals.
- Organifi Green can hydrate and revitalize your cells, boost your immune function, support your mental clarity, relieve stress, alkalize your body, naturally balance your hormones and help detoxification.
- Organifi Gold can calm your body, ease your mind, help your healthy response to inflammation and detoxify your body.
Regular exercise, a whole foods healthy diet and superfoods through Organifi can improve your health tremendously. An extra dose of puppy love can only boost your well-being even more.
Do you have a dog or another pet? How did your furry friend change your life? Share a picture of your furchild with us. Let us go ‘awww’ and be inspired by your story.
And remember, we’re in this together.
Kat Gál is a multi-passionate writer, world traveler, nomad, runner, and cat-person. She is a lifelong learner who lives outside of her comfort zones stretching her boundaries and discovering beauty around the world. She is a Certified Holistic Health and Life Coach who encourages others to embrace their unique authentic selves, follow their heart and find their own version of freedom in life.
Latest posts by Kat Gal (see all)
CELEBRATE THE 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS AS AN ORGANIFI VIP!
SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS