Turkey and Zucchini Lasagna
Image credit: Shutterstock
- 5-6 large zucchinis
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground organic turkey
- 1 8-oz. can tomato paste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 3 tbsp. coconut milk
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 6 tbsp. olive oil, divided in half
- 2 tsp. sea salt, divided
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 organic egg whites
- 2 tbsp italian seasoning
- 1 can organic tomato sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice zucchini lengthwise into very thin wide strips, a mandolin slicer works great for this.
- Sprinkle each strip with salt. Set Aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent.
- Stir in ground turkey and cook for approximately 4 minutes. Add italian seasoning and bell peppers and cook until turkey is well browned and peppers are soft. Add tomato paste and mix well. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Steam or boil cauliflower until tender. Placed cooked cauliflower pieces in a blender with remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and coconut milk. Blender until smooth and creamy, adding more coconut milk if necessary. Set Aside.
- Spray a deep 8X8-inch baking dish with non-stick olive oil or coconut oil spray.
Line bottom of baking dish with zucchini slices. Make sure each slice overlaps slightly. Add a thin layer of turkey mixture on top of zucchini. Cover this layer with tomato sauce, then add a 1/4-inch thick layer of blended cauliflower.
Repeat layering of zucchini, meat, tomato sauce and cauliflower as many times as you desire. Finish with a layer of tomato sauce.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and pour evenly on top of lasagna.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 mins, or until eggs are set. Enjoy!