Roasted Vegetable Quinoa over Arugula
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 Japanese eggplants, small cubes
- 1 cup quinoa (any variety)
- 2.5 cups chicken, or vegetable stock
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, sliced long ways
- ¼ cup olive oil
- salt & pepper
- ½ lemon (option)
- Dipping Sauce:
- 3 tbsp coconut cream
- 3 tbsp almond butter
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Protein Option:
- Meat Eaters: side of fish, grilled chicken or steak
- Vegans: quinoa is a complete protein so no additions needed
- Prepare the veggies:
a. Preheat oven to 400.
b. Slice bell peppers, onion and eggplant and put into a large mixing bowl.
c. Coat with a generous amount of olive oil.
d. Lay out on a baking sheet (option to use aluminum foil)
Salt and pepper the veggies.
e. Bake on 400 for 25-30 minutes or until desired consistency.
- For the Quinoa:
a. Coat a saucepan with olive oil or butter.
b. Add garlic slices and cook until soft.
c. Add 1 cup of quinoa and 2 cups of stock.
d. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.
e. Cook until all liquid is evaporated and quinoa is light and fluffy (approximately 15-20 minutes), adding more stock if needed (I usually add at least ½ cup extra).
a. Once veggies are roasted and quinoa is done, combine in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
b. Put 2 large handfuls of arugula on a plate and top with quinoa and veggie mixture.
c. There is usually enough olive oil in the quinoa dish, but you have the option to top with olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.