Image credit: Shutterstock
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) oil
- 1½ cups onion, diced, about 1 large onion
- ½ cup chopped celery, about 1 stalk
- 1½ cups carrots,peeled and diced, about 4 medium carrots
- 1 cup bell peppers, diced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 cups zucchinis, diced, about 2-3 medium zucchinis
- 1 15-ounce can tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- In your seasoned skillet or 5-6 quart large cast iron pot, brown beef and garlic. Cook over medium heat until beef is thoroughly cooked and browned. Drain off excess fat, set aside.
- Add oil, onions, celery, carrots, bell peppers and seasonings to the skillet and cook until translucent over medium-high heat, about 5-7 minutes. Once onions are golden and veggies are midway cooked, add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes, making sure you stir everything well.
- Add cooked beef, tomato puree/sauce, and tomatoes into the pot and stir well. Bring everything to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Check on the amazing mixture every so often and stir. Serve immediately.